Tiamo69: A Real Novice goes Racing! EEK!! MALLORY REPORT!!!

Guest tiamo69

Ti Amo's goin Racing! EEK!!!

Okay, so a lot of you on here won't know me from Adam...

But Vic knows me from the 'old' MCN Forum & has (repeatedly) asked me to post this thread on here...

So here goes...

I will be racing a 583cc Ducati in the following series this year...

Ducati Sporting Club: Desmo Due Series

This will be a completely new experience for me, as i've only ever done 1 Track Day & spent a couple of hours at the 'Ron Hill Race School'

I was lucky enough to be offered the 'pilots seat' on a 583cc 'Bitza' Bike...

My 1st thoughts were: -

!) What's the Catch?

2) How much is it going to cost me!?

Thankfully, the answers were - No Catch & just pay your entry fees/expenses, help cover any damages & become an 'honorary' Essex Boy! :shock:

Needless to say, i bit their hands off! :lol:

If any of the rounds below are local to any of you guys & you feel like watching me make a complete arse of myself... come along & say hi!

NB: There will be a full 'Race Program' featured at each of these dates, run by New ERA.

(1) 14/15th April - Brands

(2) 20th May - Mallory

(3) 8/9/10th June Assen (WOO HOO!) Dutch Ducati Club

(4) 7th July Oulton

(5) 28/29th July Castle Combe

(6) 12th August Donington

(7) 1/2nd Sept Snetterton

( 6/7th Oct Cadwell Park

I'll be riding Number 112 & sporting a very stylish 'orange' novice vest over my leathers!

Ti/Phil

More info can be found through the link below... http://www.ducatisportingclub.......php?f=107

This thread also appears in the 'Bike Chat' part of the Forum

Edited by Anonymous

• 3 weeks later...

Did my 1st bit of 'race prep' for Brands last wednesday evening.....

Delay in posting caused by having no net access since wed am, not cos i was in a hospital in Kent!

Booked myself on the Evg Session at Brands Hatch Indy Circuit last week, this was not only my 1st opportunity to meet my 'team mates' but more importantly, my 1st meeting with the 'Bitza' bike that i would be riding in the series...

Met up with Ant & Eric, who will be competing in the Class A Series on their 620cc bikes & Mark (Team Manager & Chief Spanner Monkey!) before getting to grips with the beast that is no #112...

The theory was that i'd get on the bike & have a little ride around the paddock to get used to her, while Ant & Eric were out with the Expert Group & then i'd be ready for the 1st 'Novice' session...

However, once we started her up, she just started p*iss*ng petrol out of the tank & by the time Mark had sorted the problem out, i'd missed around half of the 1st Novice Session!

Finally, got out, did half a lap & bike started to splutter & die & i ended up coasting back into the pits... 'Schoolboy Error' - Mark had forgotten to turn the fuel back on!

Thank God we were only using the Indy Circuit!

Think in total i did about 5 laps in the 1st session & obviously had to try to teach myself the lines, as i'd missed the 'ducks & drakes' at the start of the session.

This was only my 3rd time on Track, having only done a (Wet) Track Day at Brands & a morning session at the 'Ron Haslam' school, 2 years earlier & having never gotten my knee down...!

Thankfully, it stayed light enough to get the 4 sessions in & i basically just plodded around on my own, learning the track & trying to figure out braking points, turn in points etc...

I didn't break any lap records but had no intention of going fast!

Just used the time to get to know the bike & try to get a feel for racing.

Have to say, the brakes on the Bitza are awesome!

I had meant to ask Mark to time me in one of the later sessions but never got round to it, however, my confidence had definitely improved by the 3rd session (in reality my 2nd session) & i even managed to overtake two other riders! WOO HOO! :wink:

Then my visor started steaming up & i had to slow down (note to self, buy Foggy Respro!). :roll:

Only 3 of us went out for the last session & that was definitely my best session, the evening was excellent, with only 15 bikes in each group, there was loads of space of everyone.

Very different to my previous experience, 2 years earlier, when there had been between 30 & 40 bikes in both the Novice & Intermediate Groups, which my morning 'wet times' got me promoted into & in the afternoon session i had bikes coming past me at all angles! Very packed on the Brands Indy Circuit!

Anyway, roll on Sunday, i certainly feel a little more confident in both myself & the bike & with a bit of luck, i might even be able to ride the bike to around 60% of its limit!

Ti

NB: If i don't post next week, then i probably will be in 'Kent Hospital'!

So, if anyone needs a bunk at Butlins, watch this space! :shock: :roll:

So.....how did it go? Still got all your bits working and in the right place :?:

Did you measure up the bike for stickers?

Come on, lets have a report :D x

So.....how did it go? Still got all your bits working and in the right place

Hi Vik;

Well, i don't know if all my bits were working or in the right place to start with... :?

But they're all in exact same condition that they were on sunday morning! :P

I'll try to knock up a full report later...

Ti

• 4 weeks later...

Spent all day Saturday at Mallory Park on a Focused Events Track Day.

Much needed practise for this Sunday's Desmo Due Race...

Hired a track prepared R6, got some good instruction & really started to hang off the bike! Flying down start/finish straight, dropping a cog & then turning into Gerrards.... what a buzz!

Afternoon session, had cameras mounted front & rear & now have a great DVD of the 20 minute session! The camera was certainly leaning over at a decent angle through most of the bends!

Feeling a lot more confident than i was at Brands Race Meeting!

Can't wait to race again on Sunday, aiming for Top 20 Finish (over 30 competitors in my class)

Ti

Very, Very Belated Race Report! :shock:

Drove down Saturday night & stayed at B&B behind the circuit.

Woke up around 7 on Sunday morning, had half a full english & then just about managed to slip into my leathers.....

Weather looked fantastic & 8AM, it was already starting to get scorchio!

Jumped in car & drove round to main entrance & across to the Garages to meet up with Ant (#112), Eric (#69 - git has my number!) & Mark (Chief Spanner Monkey & All Round Pit Bitch! Also, the guy to blame for this whole sequence of events!). No slumming it in the paddock for these guys!

Good job that i was already in my leathers, cos as soon as i arrived, Ant said get your boots on, grab ur helmet & follow us to scrutineering!

Scrutineer didn't like the look of a cable tie on the Bitza, so Mark fettled around & got that sorted while i had all my personal equipment checked. That passed, then striaght into the Office to 'sign on' & get my Transponder... DOH! Which muppet had used all his cash up paying for the B&B! DVLA Licence left as a deposit, could see several licences & credit cards, so i wasn't the only one! Job done, back to Garages for chill before qualifying...

Qualifying

Now that was an experience..... :shock:

The one good thing about being in a Garage was that you were within spitting distance of the 'holding area' + you could almost make out the tannoy!

Anyway, all 58 of us were out in a combined qualifying session (2 grids: Class A, mainly experienced, on their 620cc bikes & Class B on the 583cc bikes with a much higher novice count).

All the talk on the forum for the past few weeks had been about how to qualify with a good, what us novices could expect, & how to avoid traffic - the consensus of opinion was that you'd get 3 laps in, before you hit traffic... Good theory, Reality was something completely different! :roll:

As there were so many of us (58 was right on the limit for Brands Indy), the Marshalls let us out in 3 groups. I was in 'no rush' to get out their & see what i was made of, so i ended up in the last group... Big mistake!

:shock:

We got out on track & i remembered all the advice about taking it easy to start with, let your tyres get up to temperature blah, blah, blah... + it was only my 2nd time on the 583 & thisc was all very new & suddenly very real to me! "Bring it Home" was my mantra for the day!

Gently up Hailwood Hill & around Druids, let the fast boys shoot off, tip it into Graham Hill, accelerate up Cooper Straight, flick into Surtees, over to McLaren, into Clearways & "Oh my God" :shock: get passed by the majority of the 1st group as come round Clark Curve & into Brabham Straight!

So much for the 'experts' talking about a couple of clear laps before hitting traffic! cos we got held back, we didn't even manage one lap before it went completely 'pete tongue'! :roll:

One guy came off during qualifying, i managed to bring it home safely, 1st part of the mission accomplished & knew my times wouldn't be great but i never expected them to be so...

My best time was 1:07:77 which put me 53rd out of 57 Qualifiers with 1 DNF. This put me 28th on the Class B Grid, so at least i wasn't last & that was another mission accomplished. The only other person i actually knew who was doing DD was 'Harriebird' (Id met 'HB' at the ACU Novice Seminar) & she managed a 1:05:98 which put here 24th on the gird & right in front of me.

Race 1:

Ant & Eric left for their race & Mark went to the watch at the pit wall, so i was left pretty much on my own & i certainly had a lot of thoughts flying through my head!

The assembly announcement came over the tannoy, so i put on my lid, did my leathers up, gloves on & gingerly got on the bike & ever so slowly rode up to the holding area, desperately trying to remember my grid number!

We were waved out onto the starting line & i found my starting position (not that hard at the back!) :P. Off we went onto the sighting/warm up lap and god knows where my mind was! I was concentrating on getting around 7 not dropping it on the 'warm up' lap (a cardinal sin) & was probably bimbling around too much. In reality, i was bricking myself!

I was one of the last to pull up, saw the guy with the red flag up, casually moved into my grid position, calmly-ish put both feet down, sorted out my position & then looked up....

No Flag & the Red Light was out... WHOOPS! DOH! :shock:

Thankfully, nearly everyone at the back made a complete hash of the start! We had wheelies, stutters you name it! Got my act together, let rip & headed off... Oh F*ck, this is bloody real!

Most of the field were going around Druids by the time i was exiting Paddock Hill so i just kept thinking, bring it home & started to enjoy myself... 1 lap completed & i'm still in one piece...

I was starting to get settled but felt increasingly uncomfortable on the bike. On lap 3, my back protector, a 'Knox Contour' had ridden right up inside my leathers & as a result, i couldn't cock my head over to look through the corners. I'd tilt my head over & round & then hit an immovalbe object. This actually pushed my helmet forward & my visions was getting less & less as the race progressed.

I actually ended up going into some corners blind & others with about a cms width of vision. Very useful when 'attempting' to race a bike. Thank god i was only on a 50bhp Ducati!

This lack of vision caused my '2 moments', on lap 6 i completely missed the turn in for Surtees & ended up 'grass tracking' across the infield & rejoining the track halfway around Clearways, going into Clark Curve. This lost me around 6 seconds & that saw me get lapped by several of the faster riders!

I muddled around as best i could, pulling my helmet up down the straights & trying my best to negotiate turn in points almost blind & then on lap 9, i had another moment! I came down inot Graham Hill Bend & couldn't see anything, i turned the bike & accerlated out but drifted completely wide & ended up going over the 'rumble strip' & onto the grass, still accelerating away. I was just about to turn the bike slightly, to get back on track, when i noticed that the grass was about an inch lower than the rumble strip! So, i waited until the grass was level with the track & then got my arse back onto Cooper Straight...

Finally, the chequered flag was out! Race 1 completed, 2 moments (only 1 witnessed by the wife!) & although i wasn't happy with my performance & personal equipment, i was glad to have finished & brought the bike home!

The Results showed that both myself & 'Harriebird' had finished in the same positions we started, 24th & 28th respectively out of 30 finishers with 2 DNFs. So, i took a little comfort from that, especially considering the woeful start, 2 'moments' & lack of vision! My times showed that i actually went faster in qualifying with 58 bikes on the track, as my best time was a 1:08:29 on lap 3 before my problems really started.

As we had a fair bit of time between races, i decided to take a walk down to the paddock to congratulate HB & see if i could meet some of the other DDers that i'd chatted with on the DSC Forum.

Race 2

Mark had made us all gatorade to drink & it was certainly appreciated, as it stayed scorchio all day!

For Race 2, Ant had lent me his spare back protector, one of the normal turtle shape ones & this felt better. But my helmet still seemed loose. :(

This time i was better prepared & actually ready for the start, i even saw the lights go out properly! I made a much better start but wasn't sure how many people were still behind me.

I felt a lot more confident & could actually see into the corners! :lol:

However, as the race progressed, i still suffered problems with my helmet oving slightly forward on my forehead! :?

But the race was going well, not only had i started better & picked up a couple of scalps, inlcuding HB, i was also chasing down & overtaking people (OK, it was taking me about a lap to do it, but i was doing it!).

On lap 4 i overtook no 86, who i'd been catching up to since lap 2 & i moved my sights onto No 33 (beautiful looking bike done in the old JPS Norton Black & Gold colour scheme!).

Anyways, after leaving 86 to eat my dust, i chased no33 down Brabham Straight & was very close going into Paddock Hill Bend. Not enough confidence to go for it there, so i planned to acclerate past him going up Hailwood Hill & then tip it into Druids in front of him...

(my god, only on my 2nd Race & i'm already planning my moves!)

Part 1 of my plan was successfully accomplished, as i flew past him going up Hailwood Hill, got to my braking point & applied the brakes & was just about to tip it into druids when......

I heard this 'almighty screech/squeal' coming from his front wheel. His brakes weren't biting! :shock: I certainly didn't fancy being T-Boned in my 2nd Race (back to my Mantra!) :shock:

So, I slowed right down, to let him get under control & almost ran out of track myself! By the time he'd got sorted & i deemed it safe to put my bike in his way, I saw No 86, HB & possibly 1 other rider take advantage of the situation & go round Druids as normal...(that's racing :()

I was really angry, especially as i'd really worked hard to overtake No86 & had only passed him on the previous lap! But at least i was in one piece & so was No33 :!: That incident cost me around 2 & 1/2 seconds & i must have been mad cos i set my fastest lap next time round, a 1:05:95 as i raced to catch HB & No86 back up.

Unfortunately, it wasn't to be. Someone had a big off at, i think, Paddock Hill on the previous lap & they needed urgent medical attention, so the Race was stopped & the result was declared!

Here's 'Harriebird's' account of my Race 2 incident:

I was trundling down Paddock Hill (as you do on a “Desmo tractor”, quote Mr Polden ) on lap 5, and saw a little wiggle from the back wheel of a bike a couple of places in front, just about to go into Druids. I thought, oooooh whats going on, then there was a little puff of smoke and he started to head straight on. Another bike was right behind him and couldn’t do much about it, however I was lucky and managed to turn in in time – thus bagging 2 places on Druids. This was a tie for the sweetest moment of the race, it felt amazing. Moo Cow! :lol:

The Race was over & the Results were in: HB finished 22nd & I finished 25th, so i just scraped the last championship point! I was gutted, cos Matt Trayner, No86 came 23rd & i know that i would've finished there! :(

But the Racing was over, i'd had my moments but had got myself & the bike home in one piece & i'd learnt that in future, overtake the buggers on the inside! :lol:

John Williams who'd had the big off, was in a bad way & was hospitalised for sometime but thankfully, he is now back on his feet.

Roll on Mallory! :lol: :wink:

Edited by Anonymous

Cheers 'yorbandit'.

After riding the R6 around Mallory last Saturday, i really got a feel for how fast you can enter Gerrards. So much corner speed can be carried into that corner, it's ruddy amazing! :lol:

So, i certainly feel more confident for Mallory on Sunday...

+ i'm now using my other back protector, a dainese turtle & after riding with that on all day saturday, i didn't experience much movement. :)

& I've bought a new helmet, to try to solve the movement on the forehead problem. I've always been a medium but that didn't seem good enough for racing. I tried on several small helmets & 90% of them were crushing my skull! But found that the AGV Pro was a perfectly tight fit & no pain, cos it uses a different shell size....

Unfortunately, the helmet didn't arrive until monday, so i haven't been able to try it out on the track... :( Don't think i'll suffer anywhere near as badly as i did at Brands! JUst got to pop over to 'Bob Heath Visors' in Walsall now & get a 50% tint visor fitted! :lol:

Roll on Sunday, really looking forward to it, cos in addition to the 2 Desmo Due Races, i've also entered into an 'Open Class (175cc-1300cc) Novice Only' race. Due to number of entries, this has been combined with the normal open production race, so that will be an eye opener! :shock:

Ti

Round 2 Mallory Park Sunday 20th of May

it's gonna be a fun but, a bloody knackering long day!

I'm doing 2 Desmo Due Races (with 2 qualifying sessions)

+ 2 'Open Class' Novice Only Races (with at least one, maybe 2 qualifying sessions)

The fun part is that, due to the low number of novices entered (around 10), our races will be out on track at the same time as the normal 'Open Class' Races (175cc-1300cc), so we'll be providing a 'mobile chicane' for all the nutters! :shock:

God, this wkd is goin to be fun...

Ti

Hope to still be in one piece on sunday night! :!: :?:

God, this wkd is goin to be fun...

Now there's a comment that came back to haunt me!

MALLORY REPORT

What a complete disaster!

I should've known it was going to be a 'bad day at the office', when:

(1) we arrived at 7pm saturday & had to hand over all my passes to the jobsworth on the gate (an hour earlier & they wouldn't have bothered!).

Lucky i had enough passes for myself, Pom & my folks (think we'll be hiding in the shower cubicle next time!).

2) Scrutineering Sat AM - standing in the line for scrutineering, i look down at my nice new & shiny (small) AGV GP Pro helmet & think "Er, something's missing". Yep, the dossy muppets at J&S hadn't affixed the 'ACU Gold Star' sticker when the helmet was despatched! I'd worn the helmet for around 20 minutes on thursday, checking the fit but never noticed!

So, my dad had to go & get me the other helmet (the medium one that's just too loose for racing).

NB: Walked the Track Saturday night with Trouty & Matt(86) & Trouty was going on about taking Gerrards in 5th. Now, i knew Griff was doing that on my 1st Mallory Track Day but i thought, nah, not a my level. He also mentioned going into the Bus Stop in 3rd? mmmmm?

Untimed Practice

Time to try a few different lines, gears & turning points & see how much corner speed i'm brave enough to take with me into Gerrards...

Took it nice & easy for the 1st couple of laps & then decided to experiment a little... tried going into Bus Stop in 3rd but didn't really work for me...

At Gerrards i tried - no braking, ease off, drop into 4th & lean her in - NICE OK, that wasn't so bad, ease off, dab breaks, keep her in 5th & lean in... I'm still here, tad scarier though but i think thats the way to go in the Race!

Results of Untimed Practice put me in 18th out of 28 Riders - Result i'm in the Top 20, exactly where i wanted to break into!

Untimed Practice for Open Class Novice Race:

Didn't see the point in going out for this one, thought rest myself & the bike as i've still got 2 Timed Practises & 4 Races to get through...

Ant was in full agreement, so me & 112 sat this one out...

Sunday is already a bit of a blur, but i'll do my best to remember the details:

DD Class B Timed Practice:

Ant & Eric were already out on track doing the Class A Practise, so i got myself ready with the help of my Dad. Put in enough fuel for 2 Qualifying sessions (DD & Novice Timed) & the Bike wouldn't start!

I'm not sure if it's how Mark (our spanner monkey - currently on holiday in Italy) has wired up the Battery or it's the fact that the battery is too small but it doesn't retain it's charge & i always seem to be bump starting it..

Anyway, got the bike bump started & made it down to the holding area...

New ERA had once again, changed the running order!

& the KRC Endurance Bods (all 7 of them!) were sent out between the Class A & Class B DD Timed Practises, so everyone vwas told to turn off their engines...

Finally, we got the 'thumbs up', everyone started their engines, except for me & i was left pretty much on my own, while everyone else got out on track. Luckily, i managed to blag a push from 2 peeps (one turned out to be NBs996) & got pushed down the pit lane with no joy...

I'd left the 'kill switch' on! DOH! Pushed back up the pit lane (wrong way) by NBs996 & other helper & then back down, success, she started! Rode down the pit lane, waited ages for the marshall to wave me out, finally a bit of clear track & the bike stalls!

So, i'm now on my own, stranded at the bottom of the pit lane. I push my bike back towards the pits, down the Ambulance Access lane & back into the top of the pits. At this point i'm sweating like a rapist & breathing like a 90 year old asmatic!

I think it's at this point that Eric see me, as he's leaving Race Control & gives me another push. I'm also having a real problem with the gears, 112 just does not want to go into Neutral! Eric gives me a bump & we get 112 started, i ride around the whole pits (up to Scrutineering & Back via Od2 Racing) & pull into the pit entry....

Just in time to see the Chequered Flag go out!

Oh well, at least i can still go out & do the 'Timed Novice Practise'...

Timed Practise - Novice & Open Class

So, there i am, at the front of the holding area, keeping the bike running, Pit Marshall waves us forward &.... she stalls again! Will she start, not on your live! On my own again, i push the bike out of the pits (air in helmet very blue & i'm still sweating for England) & this time, as i exit the holding area, i see Ant & Lily walking up the hill... Bump start again, get her started, ride completely around the pits & go down pit lane & this time i get out!

I'm well aware that i've missed at least a 1/3 of the session & the temptation is to go out like a man possessed! But, I'm well aware that i've got 'cold tyres' & do my best to keep the demon caged!

1st lap completed, down the start & finish straight, keep her in 5th, dab brakes & tip her in, accelerate down towards Edwinas... 100 yds, ease off throttle, light brakes, clutch in (very easy) & change down... NOTHING! EEK! I can seriously see myself heading straight through the run off... Again, try the clutch & this time stamp on the lever & down to 4th, braking harder & quickly stamp down 3rd & into 2nd (couple of protest wiggles from rear). Out of Edwinas, up through the gears to 5th & drive towards the solitary tree before the hairpin...

Again, no clutch! Stamp down the box & around, through the Bus Stop & back down the straight... Now, in know with 'hindsight' i should've come back in at this point, but i was still so mad from missing the DD practise that i stayed out for the rest of the session & stomped down the box at Edwinas & the Hairpin. Eventually the Chequered Flag came out & i think i'd completed around 5 full laps...

Back in the pits, Ant & Eric had already left for Class A Race 1, I find my dad & say "I think the Clutch is f*cked!" Understatement of the Century!

At this point, i head off to Race Control to see if i can plead with them to use my best time from the 'untimed' practise for the Class B Grid. How many steps up to the CoC? Clerk of the Course, unsurprisingly says No! I've got to start at the back of the Grid. So, back to the bike...

However, even with no clutch, i'd managed to lap close to my untimed practise times, so it wasn't complete doom & gloom...

I return to the bike, to see Matt (86), with the Ultimate Racing Team, suited & booted & preparing to head over to the 'holding area' for Race 1...

He sees that i'm not getting ready & asks what's up?

At this point his girlfriend jumps to my assistance & with the Dad, they try to sort out the clutch. All the fluid in the reservoir has gone, so together, they try to bleed the system. Lots of crap comes out of the clutch, originally black & then smoky white & the clutch drinks a whole bottle of fluid.

This takes ages & Emily does an great job of pumping the clutch. In the end the clutch handle is removed &, still with my Dad's assistance, Emily gets her fingers in & pumps the clutch manually.

During all this, Eric & Ant return from their 1st Race, bringing a fair amount of grass with them, from their synchronised off at Edwinas! Now that's real Team Work! & they set about repairing there bikes for the second race.

Long story, shorter... I miss both the 1st DD Race & 1st Novice Open Race but, during which we get a semblance of a clutch back on the bike! Yay!

The Bike starts 1st time (typical) & I do a couple of laps around the paddock, testing the gears & everything seems ok, not perfect, but good enough...

Now, all i can do, is wait for both the 2nd Class B & Open Novice Races, after the 2 hour Endurance Race & see what happens.....

During this time, i take a wander around the paddock, introduce myself to Tonio, meet up with Harriebird (who i find out also retired during the 1st Race due to clutch problems), say hello to a battered but happy Zimbo (whose bike looks a real mess!) & then go & see the 'trophy hunter' known as Stimpy!

After what seems like an eternity, the Class A DDers get a warning that the KRC have only 15 minutes left & Ant & Eric get themselves prepared for their second race.

DD Class B Race 2

I don't think i had any problems starting the bike, however, i couldn't get her into Neutral for 'love nor money'! I'm waiting next to Matt in the pit lane & must have tried to at least 20 times to get neutral, no chance. So, i have to hold the clutch in the whole time, i'm not going to switch off, cos i don't want to risk stalling... Finally, we're released on to the track...

Now, unlike most of the others, this is now my 1st Race Start at Mallory & i didn't realise that you actually end up doing 2 'warm up' laps...

The 1st Race had to be restarted about 3 times, due to Red flags, so 90% of the Grid had got in a lot of 'start practise'!

So, the flag goes down, but no lights, i haven't got a clue what's going on, several guys roar off, so i follow them tearing around the outside of people in Gerrards & then i see the yellow flag being waved at Edwinas & think, "OK, what's going on?" Penny Drops & i continue back around the circuit, get to the 'back of the grid'... & she stalls!

Dead as a Dodo!

I'm not sure whether to put my hand up or not but as i'm right at the back, don't think it makes much difference either way... The flag comes down, the lights go out, the field b*ggers off & i casually get off the bike & push her across to the pit wall at the side of the track (i get moved slightly by the Start/Finish Marshall) & I walk off the track, dejectedley towards my family. (Air around Helmet slightly blue again!)

& I must now apologise to CK & Anyone else who spoke to me after I came off the track, as my head was nowhere near a 'happy place'!

Class B Race 2 saw a repeat of Race 1, with several nasty incidents around Edwinas & a few riders got hurt. This meant that the Race got Red Flagged & re-started twice. After the 1st Restart failed, either my Dad, Ant or Eric said that if i could get the bike started, i'd probably be able to rejoin the grid. A glimmer of hope...

Eric & my Dad followed me back to the pits, the bike had been placed at the top of the pit wall. Eric checked with the St/Fin Marshall, we got the thumbs up & brought 112 back to life. Finally, some good fortune...

I joined another rider at the bottom of the pits & we joined on the back of the warm up lap, went around to the start & settled in at the back of the grid.

I got ready for the start, the flag went down, the lights went out & i was moving. The guy alongside me flew off the grid & i remember thinking "who the f*ck is that!?" Anyway, whoever it was, i decided to follow them...

I moved through the pack, keeping one eye on the other riders & the other on this raving nutter, next thing i know were at the entry to Gerrards & half the field appear to be bottling it! The other guy goes straight around half the field on the outside of Gerrards & i follow them Only losing site of them at the exit to Gerrards as i get caught in traffic & make my own way around Edwinas...

I only realised on Monday, that the 'other rider' alongside me at the back of the grid was Zimbo!

Yay, I'm actually Racing! Not just pottling around like i did at Brands, this is it, this is what i came here to do! 1 lap completed, tip it into Gerrards, round the outside of a couple of riders & into Edwinas. Then, 2nd lap completed & I've got Matt (86) alongside me down the start & finish, Matt tips it into Gerrards & throttles off, so i open the throttle (still in 5th) & go round the outside of him!

God, i'm enjoying myself, the disappointments of the day a becoming distant memories...

Break late for Edwinas, make sure that Matt stays behind me, change down, clutch very light, exit Edwinas bike splutters, up to 3rd, engine revs & then splutters again, couple of riders go past, up to 4th, same again, engine revs then splutters, I'm through the Esses, up into 5th & again, rev, splutter...

Past the tree, brake, downshift, bike doesn't like it, change down to 2nd, bike feels like its going to lock, i make it around the hairpin & she just dies/almost seizes on me as i exit, over to the right of the track & i park her just before the Bus Stop!

My biggest worry now, is that my folks, wife especially, might think i've crashed & will be worried sick...

The race goes on & i watch, dejectedley as Matt fights his way through the field, catching & then overtaking No 99 (Jason Boswell), knowing full well that i could've been up there with him...

The Race finishes, recovery vehicle arrives, rear wheel is locked & 112 gets manhandled into van & then out of the van back in trhe pits...

That's it, that's all she wrote, my day never really started but at least i wasn't injured! I arrived at Mallory with the 1 championship point i'd earnt at Brands, I could easily have left with 25 points, maybe more but it wasn't to be my day!

Ce Sera, Sera!

So to get ready for Mallory i spent:

£415 on 2 Track Days (including hire of R6 on 2nd TD)

£170 on Entry Fees/Transponder Hire (2 DD Races & 2 Novice Races)

After an awful debut at Brands, the Track Days really helped me get prepared & focused for Mallory & I was counting the seconds until Race Day.

My Expectation was: Top 20 Finish in both DD Races

My Hope was: Top 15 Finsh in both DD Races...

& for my money i got:

1 Complete Untimed DD Practise (9 or 10 laps)

1 Timed Novice Open Practise (5 or 6 laps)

+ i started 1 DD Race & managed 2.75 laps!

& the icing on the cake......

The Bike got loaded into the van & driven back home to Essex with the Transponder still attached!!!

(funnily enough, the transponder was the last thing on my mind!)

So, lets call it a round £650 with fuel & loss of deposit!

But, i still managed to enjoy myself, even if i was mad & i can see the addiction starting to hit home!

Plus, the day proved how great & friendly the DD Paddock is...

Which is exactly what i was looking for in the 1st place!

Ti