What to look out for with an old chain and how to replace?

mackemforever

Ok, another pretty noobish question here but at least they are becoming less frequent now.

Since I got my bike the one thing I had never really looked at was the chain itself, it rode fine and as far as I could tell there was nothing happening that shouldn't have been, and so I never paid much attention to it. Today though, I was in the city center and another biker pointed out to me that its been adjusted as far as it can go and that the indicator on the bike shows that it needs replacing.

So, I just wanted to ask what syptoms to look out for if the chain does need replacing, as I have felt nothing out of the ordinary.

Also, I know that the easiest way to get the chain replaced would be to take the bike to a garage, but I'm assuming they would charge well over the normal price for the chain, so would it be better to order the chain myself and then just get a garage to fit it?

Thanks.

turn the rear wheel check for tight spots on any links.If there are some tighter than others then its stretched.

Pull the chain away from the rear sprocket,if you can and can see daylight its life is over.

Check the sprocket teeth for knurled edges.The front ones are usually hidden and often not replaced by cowboy garages.(and main Stealers which i found out)

Sprockets are always best to change at the same time.If you put a new chain on old sprockets it will half the life of the chain and vice versa.

Do you have enough play in your chain about 2 inches(ish).Its just ive never seen a chain last all the way to end of the adjusters theyre usually out of shape half way through.Thought you may have been over tightening

Also, for some reason the new battery I put in around 2 weeks ago was perfectly fine till I last used the bike on Tuesday, but when I went out today to go for a ride it was completely dead. Its currently sat outside with a battery charger connected and hopefully it will eventually start.

I assume that it is shorting out somewhere and draining the battery, but does anybody have any suggestions for things to check. The odd thing is that it was fine for the first 6 weeks I had it on the old battery, and then that one died while I was on holiday for a week (it was pretty much due to reach the end of its life anyway so I wasn't surprised), and then the new one was fine for the first couple of weeks, even though I have only been using it every few days, and now its died in only a couple of days.

Thanks.

has the bike got any kind of alarm or immobiliser on it could be that draining the battery if not installed correctly

It has an alarm/immobiliser (datatool system 3 to be exact) but its been fitted to it for around 3 years now, and as I said before, it had no problems with draining the battery till about 3 days ago.

Well the good news is that I think I fixed it.

Turns out I had been quite stupid after I put the new battery in and the plate which holds the battery in place was in contact with one of the metal ends on the wire, which was shorting out the battery. I put everything back together as it should be and left it for 36 hours and it started fine with no signs of the battery being run down.

I guess the biggest problem with my bike is just the idiot on it then!

I guess the biggest problem with my bike is just the idiot on it then!

Well you are a wee's keyser :lol: (local joke for anyone outside a 20mile radius :) ) only kiddin m8y pleased its sorted.