whats Stupid about the CBT.....

I think the problem is that the market is saturated with people wanting to get their CBT/DAS/etc done and as this is UK most companies care only about easy money and they don't want to risk accidents or train people when they can get someone else in their place who will ride the bike safely.

Just call any motorbike school, almost the whole duration of summer they are fully booked and you have to wait few weeks before you can get your CBT or any training done, it's the same when booking MOD1 and MOD2, 1-2 months waiting time is nothing unusual.

Maby thats why I passed cos I did mine in november !

I am thinking the whole CBT thing is turning into a Racket, I know The schools have to make money but surely they should think ahead and train people properly not just see if they can pass if not fail them ?

Maby it should be a 2 day course for say £150 and the first day is teaching and the second is assesment then Those with Prior knowledge could skip the first day ?

Surely that would make alot more sence and take the pressure off complete Newbies ?

I think it's the school's fault!

my son decided he wanted to do his,

he'd never been on a bike apart from the odd

pillion with me.

I sat him on my bike, on the stand, and showed him

where all the controls are and explained what they did.

Then sent him off to the school on a saturday morning,

he came back with his CBT certificate!.

He said he struggled, for maybe the first hour, but

the instructors were really patient and friendly

and then it just clicked.

I'd try another school!

I think it's the school's fault!

my son decided he wanted to do his,

he'd never been on a bike apart from the odd

pillion with me.

I sat him on my bike, on the stand, and showed him

where all the controls are and explained what they did.

Then sent him off to the school on a saturday morning,

he came back with his CBT certificate!.

He said he struggled, for maybe the first hour, but

the instructors were really patient and friendly

and then it just clicked.

I'd try another school!

cool,I did that also :) showed him how to release the clutch under pressure ect but you are right at the end of the day, They should have taught, as thats there function !

He is not Dumb, he is an A level student and he surfs and dances so he has some kind of balance and coordination So there is no reason he should have failed with a good school.

If he decides to have another go I will suggest another CBT school :)

Oh well....

Apparently he FAILED to meet the required standard and was Binned off

So he has said to Mrs Polecat he would like Driving lessons in her car :roll:

For those of you who Don't yet have kids ............. :hammer: Don't Do it :!:

What reason did they give for failing ? I was 54 and been driving since 17 but was a bit wobbely on my CBT and I must admit made a couple of silly mistakes due to nerves , the instructor explained that he thought I needed another couple of hours and I aggreed and I was more relaxed next time and passed

I think that the CBT needs a total overhaul, it's not enough to get a lot of people ready for riding on the roads - as I've just said in another thread. I believe that it should include a lot more basic bike control and slow manouvres such as are required in the Mod 1 test, obviously you couldn't do this in one day - but confidence in handling of the bike is so important especially in today's traffic. Learner drivers aren't allowed to drive a car on their own until they pass their test (however long they take) but learner motorcyclists are allowed to ride unsupervised for two years, after the most basic of training?? And motorbike riders are far more vulnerable than car drivers, on machines which are IMO potentially far more lethal than cars in inexperienced hands.

If the CBT included some (if not all) of the manouvres in Mod 1 and you had to show competence in this to pass, then they could do away with the Mod 1 test. But would this then put off potential riders :?

Sorry edited to say, I didn't realise you could get your CBT on an auto, then go off an buy a geared bike?!!! That's lunacy :shock:

I agree with everything said but the sad thing is the CBT will make some people think they are Bikers because they passed and other people will feel disillusioned that they are not instantly able to take to motorcycles as seems required by the CBT and give up completly.

It seems to me that the way the CBT is presented it serves No purpose in keeping chavy Riding scooter riders off the road Or potential sensible careful motorcyclists from getting On to the road ?

I would prefer to see a DSA run competence to Learn course Run over a weekend maby and in that you are taught Road saftey Slow manouvering on the first day and on the second day taught Road craft and Defensive Riding techniques ect and I would expect to pay maby £150 for this course Subsidised if necessary by the european transport safety council.

Just my Opinion :)