Camera's (bike)

• 2 weeks later...

I received my mini dv S80 rip off from Ebay (HK) £7 inc p&p last night, powered it up popped in a 16gb sd card and its pretty impressive for the price, it's not HD but its pretty damn good.

Downside is the power, 2hrs at the most but i am looking at either locating an external usb powered battery pack or something to enable me to use the power from the bike or easier just buying two more which will give me 6hrs recording for £21!!

BB

I received my mini dv S80 rip off from Ebay (HK) £7 inc p&p last night, powered it up popped in a 16gb sd card and its pretty impressive for the price, it's not HD but its pretty damn good.

Downside is the power, 2hrs at the most but i am looking at either locating an external usb powered battery pack or something to enable me to use the power from the bike or easier just buying two more which will give me 6hrs recording for £21!!

BB

Blimey you got 2 hrs out of yorus/ Mine barely lasts for 45.... I may either have to fabricate a USB charger or run another cable to the battery. thing is I dont want usb cables running all over my bike!

Guest philgale

with my MD80 i have recorded a full days worth of track action without charging it.

try a smaller memory card coz mine only takes upto 2gb so fitting a bigger one may drain battery a bit quicker.

BB

How have you mounted yours?

I am still having trouble getting the correct horizon !

Not mounted it yet as the bikes in the garage for a replacement starter motor. I have tried it clipped into the nose guard thing on the helmet and it looks well but its going to be pointing where i am looking, which if the wife sees the video and catches me looking at all the women then that's a problem as i can't stop window shopping :)

Once i get the bike back i will give it a go and let you know.

Got me thinking, could you not connect it to a laptop set it as live view then play around till you get it right?

Guest philgale

honestly its not difficult to get it right by just looking at it.

have a look at your fairing from the side and see where the straightest part is, then tape it on.

have it on centre stand/paddock stand so its level, tape it on and then look from the side you will know if its pointing skywards or not.

i peel mine off in between sessions and stick it on diff bike with no problem, dont need to plug into lappy and play about.

Guest philgale
i peel mine off in between sessions and stick it on diff bike with no problem, dont need to plug into lappy and play about.

not heard of velcro....

no, whats that, some new up and coming invention?

just a quick question, is this velcro stuff you talk off ok at holding stuff on a bike at 150mph???? bloody good stuff if it does

not heard of velcro....

just a quick question, is this velcro stuff you talk off ok at holding stuff on a bike at 150mph???? bloody good stuff if it does

wouldnt know, never done 150mph... :mrgreen:

How have you mounted yours?

I am still having trouble getting the correct horizon !

Polecat, have you managed to play your video's on say a PS3 or Xbox?

I do not own a game console, I just play them on my laptop sofar.

Fixing to a Bike would be releativly Easy....Its when its on the helmet it gets tricky !

SOmetimes it films just road sometimes just sky and sometimes Just right.

I have tried marking the mount ect but It is Such a small amount of movement on the camera between all sky or all road that it is hard to get consistent filming.

A Nice suprise when I get home and the perfect film though :)

wouldnt know, never done 150mph... :mrgreen:

you mean google wont tell you either...i cant believe thats never been tested

didn't google it, but i do know that a numberplate with velcro comes of past 70mph... not streamlined you see...

I would rather have some form of bracket for removal/replacement than tape each time though, cycle light style... clips in and out..

not heard of velcro....

I know for fact it holds a numberplate on a car at 140mph :twisted:

However that is a car that is kept in the garrage when it rains, so i suspect if you use the self-sticky stuff it will fail when wet. I think tape would fail when wet too.

sarcasm is wasted on me...

anyway on topic..

if I get one of these Micro DV Cams from china, how does it work, do I have to pay Import charges..?? or does anyone know of a good place in the UK.. or reputable Eb@y trader. Thanks..

only needs to capable of staying secured up to 70mph, though..

sarcasm is wasted on me...

anyway on topic..

if I get one of these Micro DV Cams from china, how does it work, do I have to pay Import charges..?? or does anyone know of a good place in the UK.. or reputable Eb@y trader. Thanks..

only needs to capable of staying secured up to 70mph, though..

Leave it Arry!!!!

Basically you can either buy it from Ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190427462198&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT for about £2 + £5 for p&p wait a week or two - no import tax required.

You need to get hold of a mini sd card minimum 8gb (1gb per 10mins) but for quality/speed http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-microSDHC-Amazon-Frustration-Free-Packaging/dp/B002NTP06K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1282996532&sr=8-1, slip in the card power it up for a few hours and press record.

If you want one let me know and i will order one for you (excluding the SD card)

Ok finally got around to editing the video from my rideout to Harrogate Sunday afternoon once the downpour finished. The video can be seen via the link below.

The good points are its lightweight easy to fit easy to use the quality of the footage & sound recording is very very good for £7. The bad points it stops recording when it feels like it so trust is a major issue, i did some really nice roads through Harrogate and surrounding area's - got home loaded the video's and a good 2hrs worth of recording was missing; gutted.

I would hate to do a track day or say the highland's get home plug it into the laptop and nothing, that's the only bad point i can think of.

Overall its a pretty decent bit of kit for £2+ p&p but for me i think i will get the GoPro HD from Santa :)

edit: Its lost allot of picture quality on the upload to Youtube, it does look better locally.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w80sF8XZfRM