Slight 'clicking sound' when bike rolls in neutral.

Lawton182

Hey guys

I got my brand new YBR 125 2 and a half weeks ago and ive done over 1000 miles on it :D. But today when i dropped my bike in neutral and rolled up to some red traffic lights i heard a 'clicking' sound. As tho somthing was catching on the front wheel.

When i roll up to the traffic lights in netural the clocking sounds is faster when the whweel spins faster and obviously slows down as the wheels slow. It sounds like someone has put a cardboard flap in one of the spokes , as kids do with push bikes.....

I have checked the front wheel and cant see anything that could be catching......any help guys? :)

A crushed coke can on the back wheel will make the ybr sound way better :)

Get someone to give you a hand and lift the wheels off the ground one at a time and give them a spin. I would guess it's the chain slackening up as it gets stretched. May need adjusting but nothing to worry about.

But don't take my word for it, someone more knowledgeable will be along in a min.

Shouldn't be going into neutral when rolling up. Get it into 1st on approach then neutral when stopped.

Think that's how I was taught?

Or just stay in 1st unless your hand is aching. If you get into the right gear and the lights change then no mucking about, clutch in 1st, you're just away.

im always scared of over holding the clutch in incase i burn it out like a car could do......even tho i know its a wet clutch..... :/ lol.

hope the clicking sound is nothing to worry about ....i LOVE my bike and have been looking after it sooo well, washing it every other day.....lubing the chain every 200 miles :P

have you looked into the grooves (tread) on your tyre, maybe you have a small stone trapped in there, that would cause that kind of sound if it's coming from the front,

You don't want it too tight.

Do you have a centre stand? At least make sure all the weight is off the back wheel.

Then put your finger at underneath the chain making sure you are equal distance between front and rear sprockets. Get a tape measure and have it vertical from the floor. Measure where the chain is at from rest then push it up. You should 1.5 to 2cm of travel.

The clicking sounds like your chain is too tight.

Could it not be the neutral gear?

Its just a cog that spins with no output and when I stick my YZF into neutral it makes a rapid deeper clonking noise. Just the engine trying to keep going and when you come to a stop there is a tiny amount of drag from the clutch usually so slowing down from speed might make it faster. I'm just speculating here.

Could be the chain is too tight as well.

Have you checked where the noise is coming from?

Trust me these noises on a YBR are normal :P

i've done around 8000 miles on mine and sometimes it makes all kinds of noises with the gear box.

It's been serviced regulary by a Yamaha dealer and it's never had any problems.

imo the clicking noise is nothing to worry about.