Fuel consumption + 1 problem - SUZUKI GSXR 600 2002

Guest diste01

hello guys,

I am a new bike owner suzuki gsxr 600 2002, just over a month and still getting used to it...

1. main thing is the fuel consumption. i drive it in the city very often so get stuck in traffic and i understand my fuel consumption will be more than 7,8l per 100km/60miles

BUT

currently then i fill up the tank (18litres) it lasts for 110miles / 160km or so....is it normal or there is something wrong with my bike?

2. I am not sure what the thing is called (not a native english speaker) i think it is either fairing or a fork its like underneath my right handle (in the middle of it) i can see a bit of oil leaking there....is that a big problem? a lot of hassle fixing it?

Thank you for your help!

...i think it is either fairing or a fork its like underneath my right handle (in the middle of it) i can see a bit of oil leaking there....is that a big problem? a lot of hassle fixing it?

Thank you for your help!

underneath your handlebars? ... Sounds a little like brake fluid leak? hard to tell without further description, or maybe a pic :D

sorry its probably due to my poor english skills.

its not the brake fluid.....its like on this metal thick thing that goes down to the wheel. whatever it is called :D

i heard about these problems before....any advise? will try to take a pic....

any suggestions in regard to fuel consumption?

what do you mean?

if it consumer 18litres per 160km it more less works out as 11.25l per 100km....thats a lot no?

a friend of mine is driving yamaha zf 1000cc 2004 or 2006 and he easily goes over 200km on a full tank

what do you mean?

if it consumer 18litres per 160km it more less works out as 11.25l per 100km....thats a lot no?

a friend of mine is driving yamaha zf 1000cc 2004 or 2006 and he easily goes over 200km on a full tank

It works out at about 28mpg, which I would guess is ok if your stuck in traffic a lot. Try it on a long distance and see what you get then.

what do you mean?

It works out at about 28mpg, which I would guess is ok if your stuck in traffic a lot. Try it on a long distance and see what you get then.

cool thanks mate

hello guys,

2. I am not sure what the thing is called (not a native english speaker) i think it is either fairing or a fork its like underneath my right handle (in the middle of it) i can see a bit of oil leaking there....is that a big problem? a lot of hassle fixing it?

Thank you for your help!

sounds like you mean the fork seals are leaking and need to be replaced

how did you check the oil level in the forks?

by the way please say hello in the newbies section :lol:

if your fork seals have gone then, eventually you will lose

all the oil out of the forks, which will cause damage and

bad handling.

I would say the fuel usage is high for city use but not too bad

i didnt check the oil in the forks.

just checked the oil level in the oil tank cause my understanding is that the oil gets to the forks from the oil tank, am i correct?

can you just give me the estimate if i wanna repair it? are the parts expensive or its pretty much labour only? cheers

:lol: no you are incorrect!

The oil in your sump is for your engine and gear box only.

The forks have their own hydraulic oil.

The oil seals will be relatively inexpensive ( in the uk anyway)

it takes quite a while to change them though!

about an hours labour and oil and seals..

you would need to support the bike off the ground, paddock stands, remove the wheel, and mudguard to then remove each fork leg (best done as a pair). then drain old oil, and disassemble, fit new seals, assemble, fill with required oil CC, and refit.

over here we use Haynes Manuals as they are a good guide..

if youve never done it before, and dont have stands get a proffesional/mechanic..