Dversion 600 starting problems :(

stevie16v

Bought a fixxer upper. Divi 600 on a 94 plate, 30k on the clock, Had been sitting for about 4-5 months. Was assured prior to that it was a perfect runner. I've got it in the garage, cant for the love of me get it started.

I've made sure the battery is fully charged.

Theres fuel in it. Starter motor turns but the engine doesnt catch.

I've connected the fuel tank to the carbs and prime setting so as to fill the carbs so to bypass the fuel pump (which appears to working ok anyway. Still not firing up tho. Plugs are new aswell.

Can someone give me a step for a hint what to try etc?

Cheers

did you check for a spark at the plugs when fitting them,have you checked engine kill switch is in the run position,have you tried to start it with bike upright you sitting on it and side stand up in case the switch is faulty,is the neutral light on and also try holding clutch lever in,could be any of these,also did you put new fuel in tank or trying to run it on the old fuel as that might have gone stale

Havent checked for a spark. Just took for granted it has one. Whats the best way to do this?

Kill switch is in the correct position, if i flick it to off the starter doesnt engage. I've tried it with the side stand up and down, not tried doing it sitting on it, but have been doing it whilst on the centre stand.

Neutral light is on. Also tried holding the clutch in aswell but no joy. Still the existing fuel in it, will try fresh stuff. I thought it would have kicked over slightly tho even with slightly older fuel in it, It doesnt have that horrible stale fuel smell either

to check for spark remove one of the plugus from the engine then put i back into its cap rest it on the engine flcik engine over on the starter and see if it sparks use same plug in each cap to check that each one is sparking.also if it has been sat around for some time then the fuel might of blocked up the jets in the carbs.you might need to remove each float bowl in turn and check the jets are clear

I've removed the carbs and sprayed carb cleaner in through the main inlet which comes from the pump, It's spraying out of each inlet to the carb bowl. Had a look at each jet too and they look ok, can't see anything obvious blocking them. Got the battery back on charge just now as it has died for about the third time after trying repeatedly to start the engine

sounds like a plan. I've taken the four plugs out tonight, oddly i could only smell petrol from one of them, it had been a few hours since i tried turning the engine over though. I'll get fresh fuel and carb cleaner tomorrow see if that makes a difference. Dont know how much punishment the battery can take tho. Might need to hook it up to the car

Thanks for the replies folks. Got up this morning, took out the plugs and checked for sparks, all good, Primed the fuel system and made sure the pump was working (diaphragm type), then popped it back together, Caught after 3 tries and it fired up on 1, 2, 3 etc. But it sounds a bit rough, similar to a v-twin. Wondering if its maybe not running on all cylinders yet. Idle is slightly eratic. Could prob do with a carb balance etc. and its got the clutch rattle so i'll get that sorted out too. Apart from that its just going to be wee odd jobs to get it back to strength :)

Thanks, I'll need to leave it a few days because i'm heading back up to mine (bike is at the in laws) and the mrs feels slightly neglected. Silly question, But would the down pipe from the cylinder that isnt firing, be colder?