Removing a fuel tank

Guest Uber_Pimp

Ok ok...Im not the king

Anyway, Ive got a gpz500s and I need to remove the fuel tank as Im putting on another tank in a couple days. My bike has a reserve tap which has ON OFF and RES.

Anyone fancy giving me an idiots guide on how to remove the fuel tank? Never done this before and I dont want to kill myself or spill oil on my finely tailored purple robes...

Turn the tap to the 'off' position, that should stop the juice pouring out. lift the tank up, get a mate to pull all the pipes off, rembering where to put em back, and bobs your uncle fannies your aunt!

pretty much the reverse of how it was taken off. Just be careful when you pull the pipes off, there may be a little fuel in them and could run out. look out for F311n, or borile. they've both had gpz's, so can probably offer you a better insight.

there are 3 pipes attached to the tank.

1 overflow at the rear of tank (leave connected but remember where it goes!

2 vacuume the thin pipe to around the fuel tap

3 thick pipe to the carbs - fuel feed.

they all should have a small wire clip holding them tight. squeze with pliers to loosen.

after taking off the seat undo the single 12 mm bolt at rear of tank and lift tank up. This should give you clearance to pull rubber pipes off the tap. The tank should now slide back 3 or 4 inches and then move away from the bike.

Fitting is really just the opposite. just make sure the two rubber bungs are fitted fully on the frame before you put the tank back on.

Nigel

PS sorry abt spelling or grammer but ive had a substantial amount to drink tonight.

there are 3 pipes attached to the tank.

1 overflow at the rear of tank (leave connected but remember where it goes!

2 vacuume the thin pipe to around the fuel tap

3 thick pipe to the carbs - fuel feed.

they all should have a small wire clip holding them tight. squeze with pliers to loosen.

after taking off the seat undo the single 12 mm bolt at rear of tank and lift tank up. This should give you clearance to pull rubber pipes off the tap. The tank should now slide back 3 or 4 inches and then move away from the bike.

Fitting is really just the opposite. just make sure the two rubber bungs are fitted fully on the frame before you put the tank back on.

Nigel

PS sorry abt spelling or grammer but ive had a substantial amount to drink tonight.

No worries about the spelling :)

thanks for that nigel and everyone else who helped.

reason im asking is my bike is stripped naked at the moment bar the tank (got all my bodywork plus a new tank in at the spray shop getting done gloss black) get it all back on tuesday

Personally, I would fill up the tank with fuel, leave the lever in the on position, light up a cigarette, unbolt the tank and pull all the pipes off at once, making sure the engine has been run for an hour or so to get good and hot.

Watch the f***er burn and go and buy a Yamaha!!

Only my opinion mind!!!!!

Personally, I would fill up the tank with fuel, leave the lever in the on position, light up a cigarette, unbolt the tank and pull all the pipes off at once, making sure the engine has been run for an hour or so to get good and hot.

Well I fancy a Thundercat as my next bike, Im not prejudice to any make of bike but I must say, I have a wee soft spot for Kawasaki.

Well I fancy a Thundercat as my next bike, Im not prejudice to any make of bike but I must say, I have a wee soft spot for Kawasaki.

Thats the most sensible thing I read today!

But keith is right about the gpshed :lol:

Thats the most sensible thing I read today!

But keith is right about the gpshed :lol:

Nah gpz's are probably one of the best first bikes you could get for under 1500 quid. Im happy with mine

If I was richer I would of got the er6n as my first, but meh, my bike cost 900 quid and blasts subaru impreza's to smithereens, im happy

i did remove the fuel tank on my gpz a couple of times, mainly to put the carbs back together,

best thing to do, is once you have turn the fuel to the off position, is to wait for a second, ie use this time to remove the seat, and then get the right sized spanner to undo the nut at the base of the tank, and also to undo the sides of the top fairing, as the fuel tank is attached there as well, look for the bolts that are on either side of the fairing, where it sits below the tank,

then once you have taken off the three bolts, lift the tank gently, and with the help of a friend (as this makes it easier), you should see some pipes coming off of the fuel tap, with a set of pliers, you can remove these gently, once you have done that, you can remove the tank

or if you like i actually have a haynes manual for the GPshed that i had come to think about it

yeah thats me done it without any dramas. had to remove the fuel tap and put that onto my new tank. Ill take a pic of my bike with new bodywork on and post it up here and the weekend :)