Planning Scotland trip need advice

bakes0310

From Bridgwater, Somerset it works out about 650-700 (no boring motorways) miles to Applecross. Im not quite sure how long that would take, and how many hotels i should be stopping at. Then theres riding around Applecross and maybe ill get to Joan o' Groats thats got to be a couple hundred more miles. So im not sure how many miles this will end up, but at a guess it could be looking at 1500 miles, is that right?

How many miles a day should i be looking at doing, how much on average are hotels for the night? How much should i save up for all of this, dont forget food,drink,petrol and hotels?

heres a route using google maps:

631 miles

17hrs 16min

avoiding highways and tolls.

estimated fuel cost (with fuel being £1.32 pl): £136.87 ONE WAY

(feel free to tinker with it and move the route around as this was meant as a rough guide)

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... Bridgwater)&daddr=Applecross,+Strathcarron,+Highland,+United+Kingdom&geocode=FR8mDAMdHB_S_yFLIjA8hcoypQ%3BFUJabAMd_0Wn_ylNPyyoC4GOSDHtYmEBs3YSng&sll=54.2835,-4.034995&sspn=11.508774,39.331055&hl=en&mra=ls&dirflg=ht&ie=UTF8&ll=54.686534,-5.581055&spn=5.692488,19.665527&z=6

personally i would do it in two maybe three days as i feel riding for that long would definately take the fun out of it.

All depends how many miles you can do, how far do you ride at mo, everyday or just weekends, i am going jog in april and first day 400 mile planned then where we end up after that prob last day another 400mile comeing home if not longer , If you not sure on your self plan a weekend and do 200 mile sat and then sun or any 2 days after each other see how you feel and get an idea how long you are in the saddle, motorways maybe boring but they get you up the country and down on the way home 3 hours bored can be a lot of miles done

All depends how many miles you can do, how far do you ride at mo, everyday or just weekends, i am going jog in april and first day 400 mile planned then where we end up after that prob last day another 400mile comeing home if not longer , If you not sure on your self plan a weekend and do 200 mile sat and then sun or any 2 days after each other see how you feel and get an idea how long you are in the saddle, motorways maybe boring but they get you up the country and down on the way home 3 hours bored can be a lot of miles done

The furthest ive been is about 220 miles, and i still felt fresh. Im really into my fitness so im sure that will help with long riding endurance. I dont really want to go up a motorway, id rather enjoy the journey up to Applecross.

My route would be Gretna - A75 - Castle Douglas - A713 - Ayr - A76 - Greenock - Erskine Bridge - Dumbarton - A82 - Loch Lomond - Tyndrum - Rannoch Moor - Glen Coe - Ft William - Great Glen - Inverness -A9 - Carrbridge -Tomintool to Cockbridge Rd - Braemar - Spittal of Glenshee - A93 - A923 - Dundee - Tay Bridge - A92 - Forth Road Bridge - Edinburgh - A7 - Selkirk - Hawick - Gretna.

That will show to you how Scotland has the best drivers roads in the UK at least.

• 2 weeks later...

Well im seriously thinking of going nextweek, so ive got a rough plan on where im going the satnav will do the rest. I start at Bridgwater, then get to Applecross inbetween ill probably have to spend the night in a B&B/Hotel as its about 650-700 miles. But my adventure (is that the right word for this) doesnt end there. Ill headup to Joan o Groats which is about 250-300 miles. Then at last i head home back to bridgwater which is a nice 800-850 miles. Its probably gonna take 4-5 days maybe longer, depending on how early i get up and how many breaks i have. My questions:

1. How much roughy will this cost in fuel i think it will be about £300?

2. A little worried about leaving my bike outside when im asleep in a Hotel/BB, is there anything i can do, or any advice?

• 3 weeks later...
Well im seriously thinking of going nextweek, so ive got a rough plan on where im going the satnav will do the rest. I start at Bridgwater, then get to Applecross inbetween ill probably have to spend the night in a B&B/Hotel as its about 650-700 miles. But my adventure (is that the right word for this) doesnt end there. Ill headup to Joan o Groats which is about 250-300 miles. Then at last i head home back to bridgwater which is a nice 800-850 miles. Its probably gonna take 4-5 days maybe longer, depending on how early i get up and how many breaks i have. My questions:

1. How much roughy will this cost in fuel i think it will be about £300?

2. A little worried about leaving my bike outside when im asleep in a Hotel/BB, is there anything i can do, or any advice?

how did the trip go ?

Sue, my sister, my lad & myself have done Scotland 3 yrs on the trot, great place :D we have always made one over night stop on the way up at Dumbarton Travelodge, right next door is a Tourist Information, there you can get a thick brochure for north west Scotland with Hotels + B&B ect,, B & B is the best option, cheaper than hotels with home cooking to boot, prices between £20 & £30 p.p the brochure will give you the price & tel number,,

Sort your next stop & phone before you start your days ride, you can then enjoy yourself knowing you have a bed for the night :D ,,,,,,,,,,

If you stop at Dumbarton, Then you've got to do the 82 to Fort William :D Enjoy your Tour

• 3 weeks later...

I'd take atleast 5 days off so you can enjoy the trip, anything less and you'll be rushing to much to take in the scenery.

So you plan to go from your house all the way to Scotland without using M'ways?