Running problem after service

sparkeh9

I fitted new spark plugs, air filter, sprockets and chain yesterday.

The air filter looks as though it's never been changed :shock:. After I had finished, I started it up with choke and left it running for a minute or two.

When I took the choke off after it had warmed up, it ran fine for a while then slowed to a stall. Started it up again, I revved it a few times and it sounded fine, then a few more times and it sounded as though it was cutting out in the 3-5k range.

My thoughts are fuelling (or carb setting mess up by new air filter?)

Any thoughts?

New development:

I left the bike alone with the tank on, it wouldn't start.

I took the tank off, removed the air filter and there was a pool of petrol in the airbox. I then tried to start it and it spluttered in to life.

So, too much fuel getting in and flooding? The vacuum tap on the fuel tank doesn't let petrol out when not on prime so it's not that.

Any thoughts?

Guest Hodgy

Has the bike been stood unused over winter? Perhaps the petrol had evaporated in the carbs and the sediment has caused the float valve to stick open? It may well sort it's self after it's been run for a little while :)

Guest Hodgy

It does sound as though it's the carbs.

Check the choke is shutting off fully on all 4 carbs, you'll have to remove the air box to see the flap, it could be one is sticking causing that carb to flood?

I'd resist the urge to strip the carbs until you decide there's no alternative, as you can easily do more harm than good

Just checked the choke and it retracts fine on all 4 carbs.

I noticed there was quite a bit of petrol in the air box, I looked at the overflow pipe and there was some sort of stopper in it, I pulled it out and petrol spewed out all over the floor. Seems to run fine now :lol:.

Is it normal to block an overflow pipe? doesn't make sense to me lol.

After it was idling fine, I took it for a little spin around the street, it was definitely not running right, after experimenting with it, I found that it ran a lot better when I put the old air filter in it...

Am I going to have to mess with the carbs just for a new bloody air filter? It's meant to be a standard paper one as well not a hi-flo (K&N) one :shock:

i take it by your profile photo you have a bandit ? just make sure your breather pipe from your tank (its under the tank ) isn't trapped . I've had that happen and they run like they are running out of petrol all the time .

i take it by your profile photo you have a bandit ? just make sure your breather pipe from your tank (its under the tank ) isn't trapped . I've had that happen and they run like they are running out of petrol all the time .

Amazing, the pipe was kinked under the tank and it seems to be running normally now!, many thanks :D

Must have neglected to check, as I had replaced the tank so many times yesterday =/

Again, much appreciated :thumb: