bike test/learning

hi, i have been riding now for just over a year but on a scooter and want to do the full bike test now, but im unsure about gears so i thought i should buy a 125 and get a couple of months of practise in but people keep telling me i should just go for the test after a couple of lessons instead, what do you think i should do?

also if you think i should buy a 125, would it be worth me buying a newer bike that i know won't break down etc?, or one that is cheap as it is just to learn on and will be sold after a couple of months if the test goes well?

thanks for reading and any comments will be appreciated!

I'd say just do a couple of lessons and get a bigger bike when you pass. Gears aren't hard to master at all, particularly if you already drive. If you already have experience on 2 wheels I reckon it shouldn't take much.

:stupid: What he said

Get at least 1hr training to try geared bike and you'll see how you feel about it. If you learn fast just do a few more hrs training and go for your test. If you have already experience on bike I see no point of getting another bike just to train gears :thumb:

thanks, i have been told by a couple of people that have been driving for years that i could do it, but its just the worry of spending god knows how much on the test to fail, i have drove my brothers 125 a couple of times, and going up through the gears i find it easy, although for some reason i find it hard to go back down them and he isn't really much help with it either.

may as well ask you guys, when going down through gears, after changing down a gear, would i need to build the revs up at all before going down another?, cause i have checked on the internet and there are way too many sites that say different things. thanks again for the posts :)

There may be an element of personal preference in there,

Depending on whether I need to gear down to accelerate or gear down to slow down, I just pull the clutch, drop the gear and let it out again (don't even need throttle), as simple as that.

thanks, i have been told by a couple of people that have been driving for years that i could do it, but its just the worry of spending god knows how much on the test to fail, i have drove my brothers 125 a couple of times, and going up through the gears i find it easy, although for some reason i find it hard to go back down them and he isn't really much help with it either.

may as well ask you guys, when going down through gears, after changing down a gear, would i need to build the revs up at all before going down another?, cause i have checked on the internet and there are way too many sites that say different things. thanks again for the posts :)

A good instructor will be able to explain and show you everything you need to know :thumb:

When you changing gear down you MAY blip a throttle but I would say it depends how high the revs are. As when I reduce gear at 12k revs just by releasing the clutch I can feel my rear wheel locks for a sec and it may be dangerous but when done on low revs then its no problem :thumb:

i'm finding this a little confusing, i just saw another post (not sure when it was made) about how long people was riding a 125 before the test, an a lot of people who answered had actually been riding them for a while before the test for practise and some still failed.

which is making me wonder if i would be better buying a 125 for a couple of months, i not long ago turned 17, and just been payed £3250 compensation from an accident i had on my scooter not long after i had it last year, so i thought i sell my scooter for around £600 plus money i have saved this year, ill have around £5000 to spend all together, i dont really want to spend most of that re doing my test cause i failed so many times, i can sell a 125 after i have used it to learn on, but i can't get my money back from the tests i have failed

thats what i was thinking, i have been looking at honda varadero's and most of them seem to be around the same price, no matter how old it is, so i thought if i brought one of those and kept it for like 6 months and sold it, i shouldn't make a big loss if any as long as the bike stays the right way! :P

Yep Varadero should sell on well - bigger bike though, if that suits you. If you've got the money it might be worth getting one just for a few months, like you say, to get you a bit more experience. Stand a better chance of passing the test then :)

If you can afford it then why not. You may even make a little profit on it if you're lucky lol :thumb: But I would still get an assessment with some school if I were you. Who knows, you may be natural and need very little training :wink: