Oil question

pumilio

This might be a slightly retarded question...

I have checked my oil a few times and think it needs a topping up but I am not sure what kind I should use (lol). The manual specifies many weights, but 10w-40 seems like the best fit and has a wide average for the winter temps where I live.

My question is should I use car oil or oil specific to motorbikes. I realize from a bit of surfing that this is kind of a loaded question for some who swear synthetic motorbike oil is the only thing you should use; others say any decent oil is fine (so I read in places like here http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html)...

I don't really want to read a book about bike oil, just a little advice about what to use and where to buy keeping in mind this is for a Honda CG125 under moderate use in traffic.

Thanks in advance! :D

if the bike has a fair few miles on it go for any semi synthetic as fully synthetic will get past the rings

and get proper bike oil as car oil is no good for the clutch :wink:

also any minaral bike oil will be ok

some of the guys on another site i go on use the cheapest oil in there TL's and some have over 80,000 miles on the clock they just change it more frequent and they have no probs :D

as above, bike oil because of the clutch. it'll slip with car oil. trust me on this i run the old bonnie on car oil as i refuse to pay for 20w50 bike oil & the clutch slips for about 1/2 mile continiously till it burns it off.