Help please..

Guest zx6ninja

I posted this original post pasted below in newbies section,I was in a big hurry as usual,got to keep wife and kids happy too..As you can see i don,t have much time.

Any help appreciated..

Hi people,not sure if posted in the corrct place?

But it does say post newbies here.

I,t nice to be here,I hav,nt read around the forum yet.

I am from Northern Ireland.

Anyways i have a ZX6r ninja,that has,nt been on the road in a year

when I was putting the battery back in,after trickle charging it,My children came out to my bike and me,they where messing about,so I lost concentration,and I crossed the positive and negative wires,and blew the relay fuse,I also checked all the other fuse in the lights etc,and ther very small 10amp fuse on its own,they're fine.

The bike was starting and trying to run before I crossed the wires.

Now I cannot get on the road,as the bike won,t start?

I have a legos 3 type alarm fitted.

The batterys fine its a Hypersport,the ignition lights stay on,the lights work.

When I hit the starter button,i just hear a faint ticking them it stops.

Someone clue me up please,I been @ the bike for 2 weeks,and don,t have the time to read the whole entire manual,what with the wife,kids,decorating and work!!!

I think it may be thealarm,but i,ve disconnected it,its still the same,also I,ve had the bike going with alarm disconnected before..

thanks in advance...

its a beautiful day inj N Ireland,and Sunday is the only day I get a chance to get leg over.

Literally speaking.....lmao

have you got a volt meter?

the first thing to do is to make

sure that the battery is charged up

and is holding it's charge.

the clicking you here is probably

the starter solenoid, this usually

happens when the battery is flat.

Thanks for replying Rennie, I have got to dig the volt meter out,I think it would be handier take the battery to bike shop/garage and have it tested,the salesman there said the same thing,IE the batterys not holding full charge?And when I hit the starter button,its dropping charge.But the ignition lights are staying on ETC,the lights are working,and when I put the battery on trickle charge it only stays there for ten minutes and the charger light indicates maintaining,not charging?????

Is there anything else you can think of?

Also what should the reading be on the voltmeter,an what setting,I got one of those yellow £5.99 voltmeters from Maplins.

If it was a resistor on the mobo of a pc, PCB,the voltage of glitching into an ISO 7816 card I could tell you,but when it comes to a 170mph bike I tend to leave those things to my pro racing mechanic,its not that I don,t trust myself enough to mess with the bike,I just don,t fancy leaving my life down to one missing screw..lmao

Also the bike was trying to start as I held the negative positive wires in the correct place before I crossed them over and blew the relay fuse.

BTW Ian I read your other replies on similiar topic,and noticed below your pic that your from Telford,I have distant cousins living there,I,ll have to check with my older brother what there names are.

Thanks in advance again

to test a 12v battery your meter should be on DC Volts

probably 0 to 30V range.

you should get a reading of 12V without the engine running

about 14V with engine running.

To test a battery properly you need a discharge tester

but if you haven't got 12V to start with you won't get very far.

Try bridging the terminals on the starter relay. If it turns over then it would suggest the relay has blown when it was shorted.

It does however sound very much like a knackered battery. Sometimes the batteries will show 12v until a load is put on them ie when the starter is pushed then it drops off and causes the clicking sound

• 3 months later...
its a beautiful day inj N Ireland,and Sunday is the only day I get a chance to get leg over.

Literally speaking.....lmao

So stop messing with the bike and settle for the leg over. :P

Charge the battery. If it's just clicking it would suggest there's not enough charge to turn it over

Can you jump the battery from a car? If it spins over ok then it's a duff battery. As Rennie says...a battery can show 12v off load but if you load it up and it drops down too low it'll not start the bike.

BTW....I have jump started bikes from a car before....just make sure you're carefull!!