Front Fork assembly question

polecat

I just took the front main assembly? from my bike and as I took the main assembly from the frame all the little ball bearings fell out of the middle bit (Excuse the lack of technical vocabulary) I think these are called the race bearings.

Anyhow My question is are the little balls supposed to fall over the floor or were they meant to stay in the "cups" ?

Reason for the question is if they are meant to be loose like that I will pick them all up from the floor and put them back in the cups or if as I suspect they fell out cos the bearings are broke I will order New ones .

Thanks for any awnsers

they are normally held in with grease they should be a tight fit right round the cup and then remove one of them this is the same for top and bottom cup.you might be able to get new caged roller bearings for it in shich case you will need to drift the old cups out of the frame and off the base of the bottom yoke

they are normally held in with grease they should be a tight fit right round the cup and then remove one of them this is the same for top and bottom cup.you might be able to get new caged roller bearings for it in shich case you will need to drift the old cups out of the frame and off the base of the bottom yoke

ok so these aren t "caged bearings" so I better go pick them up from all over the floor then :)

What grease holds them in BTW is it special ?

Yep, what EAB said. Should be ball bearings all around the inner race, fitted to the bottom yoke with a gap of one ball bearing . If they were dry and fell all over the floor, there was probably no grease on em, so they are knackered! You should buy a set of new ball bearings, inner and outer races and a dust seal and fit them, but see how they go back together, you may be lucky. Have you got a Haynes manual for your bike??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes | have a Haynes, but my bike is not as well behaved as the one that Haynes take apart :P

I think ill buy New bearings to be safe, as Its all apart...It would be daft to put potential damaged parts back at this stage as it would make more work in the future perhaps :cheers: