Engine Oil?

Donnie Brasco

Hi guys,I was wondering whether it's ok to use car engine oil for bikes?Just to be a bit more specific my user manual recommends: SAE 20W/50 synthetic oil exceeding API SG specifications.

Now I just had a look in the shed and found some engine oil I used for my car(15W40). It must have sit there for a good 3 years,now leaving that aside and assuming it was new,is it a good idea to use it on my bike or can it cause engine damage/wear?

The bike engine in question is a honda CG125.

Many thanks

James

Guest akey

Nope Nope Nope and er Nope.

Car oil contians some anti wear components that will stop your bikes wet clutch from operating properly and making it slip like a bugger resulting in at best a clutch strip and clean and another engine oil change and at worst a complete new set of clutch plates.

Bike oil also has to deal with different conditions when compared with car oil.

Dont try to save a few quid on oil, it will cost you lots in the long run :cheers:

Nope Nope Nope and er Nope.

Car oil contians some anti wear components that will stop your bikes wet clutch from operating properly and making it slip like a bugger resulting in at best a clutch strip and clean and another engine oil change and at worst a complete new set of clutch plates.

Bike oil also has to deal with different conditions when compared with car oil.

Dont try to save a few quid on oil, it will cost you lots in the long run :cheers:

Sure,since bike engines work harder than cars,I can assume the oil is specifically designed to deal with that as well.I'm not really a tight bast*rd,just don't like throwing stuff away lol,can I use that car oil of mine as chain lube?

Edited by Donnie Brasco

Guest akey

Yep its fine as chain lube mate, but I use it in my Loobman chain oiler all the time. It will fling off loads but its easy to clean off the back wheel, you will need to oil the chain with it every 200 miles or so or whenever its looking to dry around the o rings.

Yep its fine as chain lube mate, but I use it in my Loobman chain oiler all the time. It will fling off loads but its easy to clean off the back wheel, you will need to oil the chain with it every 200 miles or so or whenever its looking to dry around the o rings.

Everytime I'm stock I always get instant response here,it's my plasure to be part of this community :cheers:

Whilst we're on this subject,my user manual says oil change should be done every 1700miles,I stretch mine to 2000 so that way when my odometer hits a whole number I know it's time for an oil change(eg. 12000,14000,16000 and so on.)

I ride mine for a few miles to heat up the oil,then empty it in a bucket,slightly lean the bike to the left then let it sit for half hour before filling it in with fresh oil,is there a better way tho,for instance using some sort of engine cleaner you can use to completely clean the engine out before filling it up or am I being a bit fussy?lol