bike care

dazza_b

what would people recommend for me to buy, to keep my bike in the best condition, it will be used all year round, and sadly stored outside on my drive, i already have covers but insure if i needs more than just that, also what should i use on the chain etc etc

I spray my bike with ACF 50 and I wash it regularly with liquid Swarfega sprayed on with the Muck Off bottle I have. Muck Off also works well but is more expensive. I try and avoid putting a wet bike under the cover. I still get spots of rust and I treat them with Kurust and Halfords VHT paint (my frame is black) asap.

There is no subsitute to elbow grease and keeping your bike clean and dry as much as possible.

I have also found Silkoline Chain Lub, which goes on like a foam is very good at keeping crud and surface rust at bay on your chain. It stands up well to getting wet.

There's a whole thread on pitstop about chain care. No need to clutter up chat with the million and one opinions about that, and that's just me.http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z28/Colin_the_bear/0012.gif

Asda smart price do a multi purpose cleaner 45p for a litre. Couple of caps in a bucket and a big sponge. Hose or bucket off with clean water. 8-)

Do you have room for one of those Bike Bungalows?

I use AutoGlym products on cars and bikes. The polish goes on easy and if you use their detergent wash it stays well protected for up to 6 Months. As above...ACF50. Drives the water out of the places you can't get to and protects it too.Solvol Autosol on the chrome. Dunno what sort of bike you have but I'm putting a plastic film on some of the more vulnerable paintwork on my bike from a company called PaintGard. Fairly expensive....but if it does what they say.....! Also has film for the Headlamps in the kit.....glasses for mine are £70 a shot...so maybe the kit ain't so expensive after all if it saves a headlamp glass!!

Cheers,

Bob

Would recommend investing in a scottoiler too for the chain if it is compatible with your bike. This is a reservoir of chain lubricant connected to the bike engine that delivers a measured amount onto the chain as you ride.

Ditto the ACF50 particularly. My daughter's moped is kept outside under a cover (my Bonnie and Tango the Speed Four are occupying the garage). The exhaust had seen better days but I derusted and cleaned it up with Autosol then sprayed with ACF50 and it has stayed shiny - amazing stuff!!)