How much to fit new rear bearings?

Lumor_uk

Bought the bearings already, but how much do you reckon he'll charge me in labour?

Walked in said hey **** I've got the bearings and he just said to "put them next to the bike, I'll sort it for ya" without looking up from his computer.

I know I should have asked but I mean it all seemed rather underhand. I had to deal with the mechanic direct at the back of the garage rather than reception. I'm thinking £20-£30 it's about an hour to do right? I've done my push bikes plenty of times but can't be bothered with lifting the bike taking the wheel off etc etc.

he's not a bike shop its a double act cars and motor bikes. Anyway was £48 on the books.

To replaced front tyre was £15.

But the £48 is minus the re test fee had i done it myself so £31 to get him to do it? Now you're going to tell me bearings isn't a re test fee item :P

No mate, I'm going to tell you to DO IT YER BLOODY SELF !!! You will be giving money away and learning nothing about yer bike.Bearing replacement is pi$$ easy and both bearings can be done in 1/2 hour. If you can afford it , good luck to ya, just don't expect any advice from me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

No mate, I'm going to tell you to DO IT YER BLOODY SELF !!! You will be giving money away and learning nothing about yer bike.Bearing replacement is pi$$ easy and both bearings can be done in 1/2 hour. If you can afford it , good luck to ya, just don't expect any advice from me :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I just bought new wheel bearings for my XJ600N from Hebay and I am quiet happy to fit them myself with the help of Mr Haynes but what is starting to worry me is what if these bearings are crap ones made in china and 5 miles down the road they disintigrate and my wheel destructs and I go for a burton :roll:

This is preventing me from just getting on and doing it as even if you took them to a mechanic if you supply them then your responsible not him for the quality of the bearings ......what to do :shock:

Wife on maternity pay...I can afford it at the moment but it's not something I want to be wasting money on in future. I bought a £1k 125cc so I didn't have to burger around with it like my '85 cg125. Done the rear wheel bearings on my Golf, 30 minutes each side. A year down the line I get an advisory for one of the bearings being loose. Getting the torque just right so it doesn't come loose and/or doesn't grind the wheel to a halt throwing me off the road is a pain in the behind. Any tips?

Your bike wheel bearing will be a sealed race type and the car one may be a taper bearing. Using the right grease on a taper bearing is essential. Grease and tighten till it just starts to bite and back of slightly. Check for play. You can feel when it's right. 8-)

i would do them myself but as you are getting shop to change them one way to save money on labour is take the wheel off at home take it to them in the car let them change bearings then off home and refit wheel.will save you the time they would charge for removing and refitting the wheel