Women's boots

Guest paintedlady

I'm after some proper biking boots as my feet got so wet on Sunday! I've had a quick look around but I haven't actually seen in any bike shops boots specifically for women and online all I've seen are the Harley heeled boots (not really what I'm after, don't really do heels at the best of times!). I plan to go and try before I buy as I have no idea what size I'd need. I'm based in Nottingham, any ideas?

Bike boots are rarely gender-specific. However, if it's just a size issue many start from size 3 so you should find something that fits. The problem I have is wide calves so most zip-fastening boots do not fit so I have some Lindstrands boots with shoelace and velcro fastenings. Your only option is to get out there and try them on. In the Notts area you have Hein Gericke, J&S, CMC and Pidcocks.

Thanks for that QB, I have size 8 feet, but quite narrow. I'll take a trip out over the next few days to try some on.

Thanks for the input Colin, I'll bear those in mind as an if all else fails :roll:

I'm about 5'7" so not particularly short or tall. Took me a second to work out what you meant by built up boots! I don't really have a problem with the leg length on the bike, that was part of the reason I got the Virago as it's supposed to be good for, as you put it, the vertically challenged ;)

I've got a pair of these Daytona Alkon in a size 38 which are totally waterproof (Goretex lining). I paid about £169 for them as HG were having a discount at the time.

I have also got a pair of Daytona Ladystar boots, these are built up boots to give extra height which I thought I'd need for my new bike but have discovered I don't, so it was a huge amount of money wasted! :roll: :roll: :x Not sure if I will try and sell them (haven't been worn yet) or use them.

Thanks, yeah I had been thinking about the ankle protection. I'm taking the other half out at the weekend to pick up some kit for him so I'll try some boots on then.

Haha yeah it was the boaty effect that I was trying to avoid, don't think youth sizes go up to an 8 unfortunately. Will just have to go try some on. Has anyone had problems with "waterproof" boots not being so waterproof?

I've got a pair of Probiker ladies' boots which say they are waterproof but aren't (they aren't Goretex). They are very comfortable in dry weather but when I did my CBT it was torrential rain and I got soaked through! They are only ankle type boots though and don't give full protection.

Gore tex is a brand name and you'll pay extra for that. Leather boots with a good oil or wax will keep out most weather. Nothing keeps everything out in the worst conditions in my experience. Polly bags over your socks and under your boots is the cheap solution. Derri boots are the most reliably water proof boots I've come across. Having said that I've paddled across a stream in cadet/commando boots and stayed dry. Altberg come highly recommended too. they do bike and walking boots 8-)

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/Products/ta ... fault.aspx

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/shop/ ... 44872.html

Yes you will pay a premium for goretex but it should be totally waterproof - not sure if they offer some kind of guarantee?

I been through the mill with kit, personally I find goretex kits suits me and my needs, but then I ride all year. Goretex is guaranteed. But you pay for it. Hein gericke do something called sheltex, it works but doesn't last as long as goretex.

I use a pair of TCX Infinity boots, best boots I have ever owned. They may suit you as you needn't worry about height or anything... but plenty of choice out there, it is a case of funding.g what feels best, but I recommend against budget boots. The choice is tours however.. best of luck finding what you need!

Cool, thanks for all that info, that's really helpful! I didn't really want to get budget boots as I don't want to keep having to replace them. I'll be riding all year so want to know that my feet will be dry. I'll remember the polly bag trick if I haven't bought any by the next time I'm out in the rain ;)