Brake is driving me NUTS !

polecat

As some of you know I have a CB250 T

I rebuilt the caliper (New boots,new seals,new nearly everything )

I bled the brakes and it had the stoping power of a run away train.

SO........I bought new brake pads and Goodridge hose and rebled the brakes

Now it has the stopping power of a run away train with a parachute attached.

So why do you think does not work properly ?

If I apply the brake it does not feel spongy or anything it just takes a while to come to a stop no matter how much brake is applied

Is it the disc is too shiney ? I think the master cylinder is working ok cos it pumps fluid well enough when I am bleeding it.

Apart from throwing the bike in a skip and getting a new one what should I do next ? :)

Or is the cb250 brake supposed to be a apply brake stop in a minute type of bike ? :shock:

Guest akey

it will take a good few miles for the pads to break in anyway mate so give it a little time. Its also well worth cleaning the disc with some brake cleaner (muc off do an aerosol one).

I would see how it goes for 20 or 30 miles mate.

it will take a good few miles for the pads to break in anyway mate so give it a little time. Its also well worth cleaning the disc with some brake cleaner (muc off do an aerosol one).

I would see how it goes for 20 or 30 miles mate.

cheers but I do not have an MOT so cant ride it until on the way to the mot :roll:

I will try cleaning it with some degreaser thought and see if it makes a diference ....Right now :)

Guest Hodgy

If the pads are new they may just need bedding in?

Try roughing the surface of them slightly with sandpaper. Also try the same with the disc with some wire wool or emery cloth.

Could the disc have been contaminated with something? Have you tried cleaning it off with white spirits?

If the lever is firm, it's obviously not air and the Goodrich hose should be good.

Only other suggestion is cheap pads, my ex bought some off Ebay once that were had similar charicteristics, can't remember the make, sorry, but we ditched them and got some genuine Honda and problem solved.

Good luck sorting it :)

If the pads are new they may just need bedding in?

Try roughing the surface of them slightly with sandpaper. Also try the same with the disc with some wire wool or emery cloth.

Could the disc have been contaminated with something? Have you tried cleaning it off with white spirits?

If the lever is firm, it's obviously not air and the Goodrich hose should be good.

Only other suggestion is cheap pads, my ex bought some off Ebay once that were had similar charicteristics, can't remember the make, sorry, but we ditched them and got some genuine Honda and problem solved.

Good luck sorting it :)

thanks Hodgy

cleaning it made no diference but I noticed How smooth and shiney the outside of the disc is !

The pads on before were honda ones and same problem thats why i changed them for these

No matter how hard I pull the lever it stops when it is ready :D

should I sand paper the outside of the disc with 80 grit and rough it up a bit ?

I found this :

http://www.ehow.com/how_4421355_clean-g ... otors.html

cleaning it made no diference but I noticed How smooth and shiney the outside of the disc is !

Sounds to me as if the pistons are not travelling immediately, which would fit with "stops when it wants to, eventually".

With the brake off, there shoudl be a gap between the pad and the disc (piston in). Slide a piece of paper between pad and disc. Apply brake. A properly funcioning brake will stop you pulling the paper out instantly, a sluggish brake will stop you pulling it out after a second or two. Is yours instant or sluggish?

If it's sluggish I would suggest a problem with the calipers, in that the pistons are sticking for some reason. Strip down, clean, renew seals, rebuild, retest :D

Sounds to me as if the pistons are not travelling immediately, which would fit with "stops when it wants to, eventually".

With the brake off, there shoudl be a gap between the pad and the disc (piston in). Slide a piece of paper between pad and disc. Apply brake. A properly funcioning brake will stop you pulling the paper out instantly, a sluggish brake will stop you pulling it out after a second or two. Is yours instant or sluggish?

If it's sluggish I would suggest a problem with the calipers, in that the pistons are sticking for some reason. Strip down, clean, renew seals, rebuild, retest :D

Did the paper test and it grips streight away :)

Probably just need bedding in is all. 8-)

rang My friendly Motorcycle engineer and he said that there most likely is an Air lock in the banjo and you are meant to Bleed the banjo before you bleed the caliper :shock:

Never heard that before but I will give it a try :)

Did the paper test and it grips streight away :)

In that case I would stop faffing arund with it, book an MOT test but warn them you may not actually get there, then start riding it to bed them in.

If the brakes inprove on the way, get the test done. If they don't, go back home and scratch your head.

Little bast*rd seagull just crapped from a great height on my head and all over my shiney bike as I was doing the banjos !

Anyhow little update.....brakes just improved 100 % after I bled the banjo's and the forks actually DIP when I apply them so shows something is working right :shock:

When I rang the Motorcycle engineer he said anything that needs attention after the MOT he will put right anyway so it Should pass :)

Gonna try and get some insurance on it now ready for Monday :D

Guest Hodgy

Seagul crapping on your head must be lucky :)

So, how do you bleed the banjo's? Just loosen and squeeze the lever? Never heard of that but it obviously worked, well done :)

Could be you've fitted hard compound pads, try fitting pads with a softer compound

I thought I would end up getting the wrong ones, but with a bike this age you have to take what you can get :roll:

Seagul crapping on your head must be lucky :)

So, how do you bleed the banjo's? Just loosen and squeeze the lever? Never heard of that but it obviously worked, well done :)

It didnt feel lucky :D

WEll......normal brakes you cant bleed the banjo but Goodridge ones have a nut on each banjo for bleeding

the mechanic said the air gets trapped in em and you end up just pushing it around !