thundercat starting problems

grant965

hi, bike doesn't always start when i want it. Sometimes it works perfectly but getting more frequently when i press start switch lights on dash come on as they should but there is a ticking sound from under the seat. I had this problem about 2 months ago and my mate used a voltmeter to trace it to the starter motor, he cleaned it out, which seemed to fix the problem up until last week when exhaust gaskets were replaced.

So, is it a case of a new starter motor? Used ones from a biker breakers worth it? Possibility of another part? Try cleaning again?

I know little about bikes so if replies could be simple it would be appreciated.

thanks

Grant

it sounds like it is either the starter motor again or the starter solinoid.the clicking you can hear will be the solinoid trying to turn starter motor over it is behind side panel remove the panel press start button you will find it and tap it with screwdriver see if it then turns bike over

Can you bypass the solenoid to check? Pair of pliers to make a connection over the contacts will do. If it fires up easily then, look at your battery.

The starter motor being clogged up could just have been a provoking factor meaning a weak battery couldn't push it round and overcome it.

The rapid clicking tells me the solenoid is working so more likely to be the battery unless the connections at the solenoid are rubbish. I wouldn't think the starter motor is the cause if it was serviced recently unless the unit has broken down rather than clog up.

I made a slight error, the clicking tells me the relay is working, the solenoid is most likely to blame as arcing destroys the contacts. Clean up the connections and get a new one in.

I made a slight error, the clicking tells me the relay is working, the solenoid is most likely to blame as arcing destroys the contacts. Clean up the connections and get a new one in.

You were also right Fozzie. If the battery is low (or poor connections as Colin said) the solenoid will click merrily away but the starter may not turn. Happened yesterday on my CBR :)

• 2 weeks later...

SORTED !!! Opened bike up, cleaned and greased connection to starter motor and its working perfectly.

Was working fine for a few days then noticed yesterday there seemed to be a lack of power, like it wasn't warmed up properly or released clutch to early and the bike stuttered.

Never happened before so was really odd, any suggestions?

Things to note:

Cold and wet day - warmed bike up for a bit longer than I usually do

Brother was on back

One exhaust header keeps getting blown off, only leaking slightly (sorting today)

Clutch cable has a temporary fix whereby it sits on a nut rather than in the adjuster because it broke - hopefully new one arrives today

Also, one last thing, put a new end can on the other day, Danmoto carbon and s/s stubby, and it seems to backfire a lot more than my beowulf can, its sounds brilliant but is this going to be doing any damage?

Backfiring on the overrun could be where it's drawing air in from the header. Once you fix that the problem should go away/reduce.

If the new exhaust is different you may have a fuelling issue. Try the old exhaust back on and see if the problem disappears.

Bob