Help! Need urgent help with a poorly bike

martlewis

I've had my bike (YBR125) off road for 3 months, most of which time it was at insurers. I have it back but the battery is completely flat. I can get it kick started but it's not running well at all. It keeps loosing power and every few minutes it cuts out. Idle's unhappily too, almost like it's struggling to keep running and then after a few minutes it cuts out.

I'm guessing I need to charge the battery.

Is anyone anywhere near Meadowhall and got a battery charger I could borrow, I don't mind paying or giving a deposit. I'm stuck at work with no way to get back to Chesterfield tonight.

I thought a good run would help it, did 13 miles with plenty of stops to restart bike but it didn't help.

If anyone can help with a charger or any advice would be really appreciated.

Not tried the fuel yet, didn't know it could be a problem?

After some internet research I was thinking more along the lines of duff battery or reg/rec failing. It's an 09 bike so hopefully not failing yet tho.

Have got AA cover but assuming they won't do roadside repairs, just recovery when it's a bike.

They will still try and repair it as it's often cheaper than recovery, if it's been stood for that long the battery probably has gone flat but should still be able to jump or kick start it unless it's 100% flat.

However once it's running the flat battery shouldn't be affecting the ride, so next thing to check is fuel, it can deteriorate and become contaminated over time.

Another thing to check could be the pipes/tubes, if it's been to a garage check they've all been connected up properly.

See if you can get a mate to get you to a petrol station to fill up a jerrycan of fuel, fresh fuel could make the difference.

I doubt its the reg rect, but the battery could be a goner mate.

As I always work my diagnostics on cheapest first, go for new fuel :D

I live near meadowhall in sheffield, and I have a charger. What do you have in mind though? there's no way to charge your bike unless it's at a plug socket, and it'll take at least an hour to get anything into it :shock:

I'm at work mate so a plug socket isn't going to be a problem. My bike's in our warehouse at moment. The battery is completely flat and just wanna charge it and rule out a duff battery before I go any further.

I'll also get the fuel drained and replaced.

I'm at work mate so a plug socket isn't going to be a problem. My bike's in our warehouse at moment. The battery is completely flat and just wanna charge it and rule out a duff battery before I go any further.

I'll also get the fuel drained and replaced.

Only problem is, I'm at work til 5 o'clock so can't do anything before then :)

Only problem is, I'm at work til 5 o'clock so can't do anything before then :)

And I'm at work 8 till 4... Hopefully the fuel change will do the trick. I was concerned over battery as I managed to ride all the way to work but when I got here the battery was still flat, headlight wouldn't even turn on when ignition was switched on.

And I'm at work 8 till 4... Hopefully the fuel change will do the trick. I was concerned over battery as I managed to ride all the way to work but when I got here the battery was still flat, headlight wouldn't even turn on when ignition was switched on.

Definitely sounds more and more like reg/rec to me, and possibly a boiled battery is inevitable. Got a multi-meter handy?

Definitely sounds more and more like reg/rec to me, and possibly a boiled battery is inevitable. Got a multi-meter handy?

Unfortunately not. Will have to try and borrow work van tonight if I can and then bring a meter tomorrow. How do I test reg/rec?

Could just be a goosed batt.

Start the bike and see what voltage you get accross the Batt should be 13 - 14.5v ish with the engine revved to 3 or 4000 RPM.

Might be worth getting a new batt if you can

sounds to me like the battery has had it if you have ridden all the way into work and its still dead then it will run rough as the alternator is trying to keep the bike running using lights indicators and everything it will run rough.agree that a new battery should cure the problem

Someone crashed into the back of me on 24th May, was taken away by insurers next day. Yesterday was first time I've used it since. Has an alarm fitted which I'm guessing drains battery too even if not turned on. I'm pretty sure the insurers wouldn't care enough to have disconnected the battery while they had it.

Yep defo sounds like a goosed battery as its gone flat and been left in that condition for a period of time, possibly leading to a deep discharge condition, which is why it now wont accept a charge from the bike.

If you are really really lucky an Optimate charger may recover it, but I've never yet managed it, I think a new battery is required.

Pretty sure the last one I got from Halfords came charged.

If all else fails I have an Opitmate at home you can borrow (in Alfreton) but I dont get back from work until about 1830 :(

Would be really appreciated if I can borrow it. I'm at physio tonight for my back after the accident so won't be available till after 7. At least I could get my battery on and try charging, should prove if it's the battery before I buy another. I can send my driver out from work tomorrow to pick up a battery if the charge fails.

I had similar problems with the Virago when I got it. It would never idle well, used to cut out, sometimes wouldn't start.

After I replaced the battery the problems went away :) Mind you I changed the plugs at the same time as the other ones were the originals that came with the bike in '97

Will a standard car battery charger work on a bike battery or is there a difference? I have a halfords charger that I got for the car some years ago.

Yes it'll be fine so long as you don't switch it over to "fast charge" if it has such a setting.