Honda - CG125

What model was it? CG125

When did you buy it and how much did it cost?

Bought it in 2003 and it cost £475

Good points?

Reliable, easy to maintain, comfortable, economical

Bad points?

Old fashioned looking, something your mates would laugh at!

Would you get another?

I would if I was only able to ride a 125cc, but probably not now as I have full licence.

Any other comments?

Good starter bike. Held its value. Sold a year later for £20 more than I paid for it. Happy Days.

Vicki :)

• 3 weeks later...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_y625j9uagyk/S65PGx-ytoI/AAAAAAAABj8/HOS8NBkiUFQ/s400/cg125.jpg

Swapped it for my old GPz305 (which I adored) so the wife could take her test (and stop headbutting me on my Tiger900).

She passed, got an ER5 and it became my all-purpose garage bike.

Want to go into Southend for some shopping? CG.

Weekend away camping? CG.

Commute to work in Burnham-O-C through snow drifts and nutters on the A127? CG.

Tour Europe? C...oh hang on, that's idiotic. Not to say I wouldn't but the thing blew up. It'd had a very tough life and would have survived a strip down but we ran off to South America and I gave it to a mate.

Would I have one again? Hell yeh! It's more frugal than a stereotyped Northern person and it'll carry luggage galore if you learn to bungy properly. In winter you can ride it with feet down - and feet like mine means it has skis either side for stability. And when the inevitable slide comes there's nothing to break and no weight to cause a problem.

Loved it. Rode it. Broke it.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_y625j9uagyk/S65PBWjbeXI/AAAAAAAABjI/4o5bl0gHIaQ/s400/crash.jpg

Bought one of these for my daughter this year - BTW LOVE the furry dice on the back :lol:

Cost £270 with full year's roat tax and MOT from ebay. It was a 'buy it now' and I couldn't resist it.

Bad points

It's an older one so has disc brakes which are a bit rubbish

Lights are a bit dim

Could do with a side stand

Not exactly stylish - fortunately my daughter isn't bothered at all

Good points

Too numerous to list but here's a few:

Runs on fresh air as far as I can see

Starts on one kick normally

Although I'm hoping not to have to do this much, it is easy to work on and parts not too hard to come by (and cheap).

sounds gruntier than a lot of 125cc (misting over with nostalgia at this point)

I'm told it is comfortable and easy to ride by the owner - Tango may dispute this as he rode it back from Chesterfield and his '@rse was cracking nuts' apparently. However the fact that you CAN ride it from Chesterfield to Huntingdon is testimony to its reliability. Bob didn't want to let me have a go on the second leg when we stopped at Grantham. He said it was because the brakes were cr@p but I suspect he was enjoying himself.

Rhiannon just added that 'knowing Honda has made other people want to be bikers' - Her BF is now looking at getting a bike.

• 2 months later...

Honda CG125

(pic is set as my dp)

love this bike

practically runs on air- 1 tank of fuel takes me 200 miles and i still have fuel left (and thats without touching the reserve!)

brilliant first bike

takes a good bit of knocking about -i did fall off a couple of times :(

engines are pretty much bullet proof

kick start first time every time- never had to use the choke (even in icy weather when i perhaps shouldn't have been taking her out)

really easy to take apart and put together. good for learning some basic mechanics

Would definitely recommend as a first bike ( i even bought my younger sister one!)

downers... erm...

few and far between

headlight is a bit dull

didn't come with a side stand as standard so it is possible to ride off with the side stand down :/

thats about it really. I've had my cg for 2 yrs and have now passed my full test

definitely recommend as a learner bike or just something for an economical run around

cheap for parts

bought the bike for £300 from a man that had left it in a shed for over 3 years!!!

scrubbed it up and have since been offered 500!!

Honda CG125

(pic is set as my dp)

love this bike

practically runs on air- 1 tank of fuel takes me 200 miles and i still have fuel left (and thats without touching the reserve!)

brilliant first bike

takes a good bit of knocking about -i did fall off a couple of times :(

engines are pretty much bullet proof

kick start first time every time- never had to use the choke (even in icy weather when i perhaps shouldn't have been taking her out)

really easy to take apart and put together. good for learning some basic mechanics

Would definitely recommend as a first bike ( i even bought my younger sister one!)

downers... erm...

few and far between

headlight is a bit dull

didn't come with a side stand as standard so it is possible to ride off with the side stand down :/

thats about it really. I've had my cg for 2 yrs and have now passed my full test

definitely recommend as a learner bike or just something for an economical run around

cheap for parts

bought the bike for £300 from a man that had left it in a shed for over 3 years!!!

scrubbed it up and have since been offered 500!!