booked theory and cbt

I know it's not a big deal to you guys but it's baby steps atm for me and i'm really excited.

I've booked my theory for the 9th sept and cbt for 22nd sept.

I'm then hoping to move onto my DAS.

It will be a while yet til i'm on a big bike but will be worth the wait....as I said, baby steps.

Any advice for the cbt? (I've already got my full drivers license so i'm familiar with the theory and i've been practising the bike one).

Im in a very similar situation as you mate. Been driving 3 years fancied doing my bike so booked my CBT which is first step. Im doing my CBT in two halfs though due to work.

I done the first half on Monday and well its basic as the name suggests. You dont need to prepare, the CBT itself is the Prep work for getting on a bike.

Although if you hadnt previously driven on the road at all Id suggest you try and get a better understanding of the road and its marking/signs by taking a bit more notice as a passenger just so your not totally overwhelmed when you get to a specific crossing.... but you have driven so know how the roads work so no dramas there.

Aside from mucking about on ungeared bikes afew years back I hadnt been anywhere near a bike and now feel ready to take on the roads when the next part of my CBT comes up.

So yeah no prep needed just turn up eager to listen and learn.

Of course it's a big deal, there's 4 big steps and you're taking two of them :)

There's not a lot I can say you need to do before CBT, it is basic... it starts at "this is a motorcycle" and goes from there. It is aimed at people with no knowledge, experience or anything. It's not a test, you can't fail, it is training and you go at your pace until you reach the standard required. If you think of any questions, ask them!

Enjoy and good luck, let us know how you get on

The CBT isn't really a test. As long as you can ride it safely you'll get it. Some people manage it all in one full day (having never ridden - like me) and others need to do it in two days - my sister. Never heard of anyone doing it over 3 (full) days. Just enjoy it. 8-)

good luck with both of yours mate, did my cbt last week. best advice i can give you is listen to the instructor, and as you have been driving before just remember the roadcraft from the car and its pretty straight forward

Any advice for the cbt? (I've already got my full drivers license so i'm familiar with the theory and i've been practising the bike one).

Yes. Enjoy it.

It's basic training. You can't fail.

So relax, have a good day and a good ride and smile! :lol:

theorys tomorrow, when I did my car one it was less questions.

I've been practising and should be fine but also quite nervous, I get like that when going to an unfamiliar place around "strangers" even if it is only briefly.

Wish me luck this is the start of the road to a full unrestricted license! :3some:

Keep your head up and look where you want to go. That helps with balance and manouvering. Resist staring down at the front of the bike.

You do a lot of riding on the clutch where you pull it in and out at the biting point to control your speed again whilst manouvering.

If found once I had started to make myself keep my head up and had got the hang of riding on the clutch, the rest came easily.

• 2 weeks later...

Did my cbt yest and have to admit I took to it quite well after I figured out how to get my hands to do what my feet usually do! On the road part it all seemed to come to me like second nature a lot of driving has helped with this. I've already done the theory so next steps saving up for the das!

Can't wait although it may take a while

I've booked my das training to start at the beginning of november. mod 2 will start beginning of dec.

its penciled in, basically if i got the funds i do it if not then no training and no test!

fingers crossed!! but if all goes to plan ill have my license before xmas! maybe me old woman will buy me a bike for xmas? lol

:3some:

i had a little go on my mates thundercat 600 yesterday just getting used to the weight and slow speed menouvering. I only went into second gear in an industrial estate weaving in and out of things etc. Tbh after I got over the fear of it shooting off at 100mph it was relatively easy. When your stationary you feel the weight when your moving you feel like your riding a lil pussycat but my god can these things move.

when i got my CBR a few weeks back i remember thinkin " its not fast at all this " that was until i pinned it in 1st and 2nd and fook me did it go :lol: Until then i had bene pootling about at under 4k revs and its very civilised there and in fact easier to ride at slow speeds than my little 2 stroke RXS...

I know it's a strange one really. Once you realise the clutch will kill the power by just pulling it in things become a lot easier especially at first. and using the back break at low speeds is also a good skill to learn as a beginner.

Of course it's a big deal, there's 4 big steps and you're taking two of them :)

There's not a lot I can say you need to do before CBT, it is basic... it starts at "this is a motorcycle" and goes from there. It is aimed at people with no knowledge, experience or anything. It's not a test, you can't fail, it is training and you go at your pace until you reach the standard required. If you think of any questions, ask them!

Enjoy and good luck, let us know how you get on

I know of several people who failed their CBT's, I don't know how exactly....

Maybe the school were just trying to make some more money out of them I guess :(