Advanced training..

I'm told starting off a thread like this might lead to a section of its own...magic!

I guess anyones motivation for getting involved with advanced training should be down to personal choice based on accurate information. One thing I would say is try not to let other peoples perceptions of advanced training, unless it's based on fact, put you off.

I've heard all sorts of stuff, most of it based around comments about stuffy jobsworths, know alls, 'can't teach me anything' etc etc, invariably coming from people with no experience of the training or knowing the people involved.

I started off with an introductory ride last October having been introduced to the York Advanced Motorcyclists by a mate who had done winter training the year before and recently passed his advanced test. They meet up every Saturday morning at 9.30am at Squires at Sherburn in Elmet and when you sign up, as I did after the introduction, you set off on one of the most effective training schedules I have ever experienced, not just riding a bike.

As an IAM associate you can go along every week if you want and go out with an observer who does just that, observes. The whole thing is based on 'the system' IPSGA, Information, Position, Speed, Gear, Acceleration. At the end of each ride you go through a sequence of progressions with the assessor who mentions areas to work on maybe something like the right lines on bends, you take the information away, work on it, come back and so on and so on until you are assessed to have reached test standard.

I can't remember what the cost was but I paid somewhere in the region of £140 which gets you associate IAM membership, test fee and enough training to get you through the test. The only cost after that is your own fuel and a cup of tea for your observer at the end of the ride.

Back to the inaccurate perception bit, whilst first impressions are of greying locks and BMWs you would be really hard pushed to find a friendlier, more supportive bunch of people anywhere. Throughout the assessment process I found all of the different assessors I went out with to be knowledgable, patient (big plus!) thoroughly efficient without being officious and downright professional. I have come away from it having now passed my test as a much more aware, knowledgable, quicker and, above all, safer rider. I would recommend it to anyone with the time and inclination to commit to it.

http://www.yamonline.org.uk

I have seriously considered this over the years....but never went ahead.....

Maybe next year as it's nearing the end of my motorcycling season (fair weather biker)..... :wink:

I've done a lot of defensive driving courses in the car....and it's amazing how much information you can pick up from the instructors. Driving or riding is like detective work.....you spot various clues that give you an indication on road conditions and what other road users are likely to do....and these courses teach you about many of these clues and how to spot them..... 8-)

I agree that any advanced training is good if that is what you want to do.

I chose the RoSPA route.

It hones your powers of observation and of risk/hazard perception.

When I concentrate I can ride really smooth, progressively and well.

When I daydream or have too much on my mind like what to cook for tea etc I am crap.

I still have a panic attack every time I am near gravel (I just don't freeze and scream like I used to :oops: )

I still break out in a cold sweat if I have to move my bike when the engine is not running (or usually I ask some nice bloke to move it for me Kev/Keith)

Oh and I still average one wobble and drop per year :roll:

Other than that I have a great time :mrgreen:

I've done 2 Bikesafes, and had various observered rides from either IAM, RoSPA or DSA observers / instructors not to mention rides with my cousin who is a police advanced rider :mrgreen:

I really should get off my backside, choose a route and get the test done

Advanced courses only teach you how to ride legal. Bit dull really http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z28/Colin_the_bear/police_chase.gif

Fair comment as far as sticking to non urban speed limits goes but, believe me, there's nothing dull about the concentration you need to fettle everything and the bottom line is safety and position, you can use absolutely everything you learn at a slightly quicker pace (If you want to) than when you are being observed or tested.

Advanced courses only teach you how to ride legal. Bit dull really http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z28/Colin_the_bear/police_chase.gif

Fair comment as far as sticking to non urban speed limits goes but, believe me, there's nothing dull about the concentration you need to fettle everything and the bottom line is safety and position, you can use absolutely everything you learn at a slightly quicker pace (If you want to) than when you are being observed or tested.

Totally agree.

I also agree ( as I know you Colin) that experience does count for a lot.

As for me in only my 5th summer riding - boy am I having fun and since undertaking advanced training I can ride my bike to both it's and my limit.

Cornering is now smooth and fast, I use my gears wisely.

I am far from perfect and also still have errors - I put that down to inexperience, being human, oh and being a hormonal woman lol

If you are thinking about it, just try it. You will soon decide if it is not for you. There is stil an element of pipe and slipper brigade with their " I know better than you" attitude. I just take their knowledge and ignore the ego.

If more "normal" bikers went into advanced training then they would soon be outnumbered anyway and the image would change.

Ok I will shut up now :(

Once i'm 21 i want to start doing advanced tests and get the licences to become an instructor.

Not sure if there is an 'under 21' rule to do advanced training and the test, might be worth checking out? Having said that I could ask at Squires if you want?

Once i'm 21 i want to start doing advanced tests and get the licences to become an instructor.

Not sure if there is an 'under 21' rule to do advanced training and the test, might be worth checking out? Having said that I could ask at Squires if you want?

Not for RoSPA there isn't - well not for training as for being a trainer I think that may be different ?

Not for RoSPA there isn't - well not for training as for being a trainer I think that may be different ?

RoSPA have just publicised there youngest ever instructor/observer.

Passed his advanced test at Gold level aged 17, now qualified as an observer aged 18.

Not sure whether he has the credibility or experience to be able to command respect from older students, but it confirms that if you are good enough, you are old enough.

I have examined quite a few riders in their late teens and some of them have been outstanding :cheers:

Totally agree.

I also agree ( as I know you Colin) that experience does count for a lot.

As for me in only my 5th summer riding - boy am I having fun and since undertaking advanced training I can ride my bike to both it's and my limit.

Cornering is now smooth and fast, I use my gears wisely.

I am far from perfect and also still have errors - I put that down to inexperience, being human, oh and being a hormonal woman lol

If you are thinking about it, just try it. You will soon decide if it is not for you. There is stil an element of pipe and slipper brigade with their " I know better than you" attitude. I just take their knowledge and ignore the ego.

If more "normal" bikers went into advanced training then they would soon be outnumbered anyway and the image would change.

Ok I will shut up now :(

Youve convinced me..I'm in my first full year of riding but feel ready now to strenghen some areas of my riding.......I feel I am still slow assessing and entering some corners and could do with being more confident on motorways during certain conditions ie rain, and in the dark

• 1 month later...
Well you've all convinced me and I've just joined my local IAM and have my initial observation ride on Sunday. Really looking forward to it :D

Hi Katie..where did you go to Lincs or Notts?

I'm still interested in doing it but been too lazy to book anything...

Hope it goes okay

Well you've all convinced me and I've just joined my local IAM and have my initial observation ride on Sunday. Really looking forward to it :D

Well done. I'm in the middle of mine, but they've stopped for the Autumn here. Bit colder up here in north Scotland. You'll realise how much more there is to riding safely, but don't be surprised if you feel challenged as it isn't easy if you are a naturally slow rider like I am. The most important advice I can give is to NOT go out of your comfort zone and stay within your limits and they will tell you that in their disclaimer before each ride. :mrgreen:

I went for Notts as it's nearer, all the Lincs meetings seemed to focus in North Lincs. I think I must of chosen the right one though as there is a Senior observer who lives in a village a few miles away and another guy who lives on the outskirts of Newark. I've joined with hubby so it's handy as we're each doing our observation ride at the same time with one of these 2 guys. You should join, they've been really friendly and sorted out our initial assessment really quickly. We'll probably not get it finished this year but it doesn't matter as your membership lasts 12 months.

Notts usually start everything at Arnold but they are reversing the routes for us and starting at Newark instead :D

Rollingskies, I'm very very slow!! Thankfully the bloke I spoke to was very positive and didn't seem at all bothered when I said I'd lost my confidence since dropping it so finger crossed I can take it all at my pace until I build up my confidence :D

Good luck with it Katie......hope you enjoy it..... 8-)

Let me know how you get on because I'm Captain Slow as well and that is what is really putting me off doing something like this - I've heard that they push you to do everything at speed.

I think I'm fairly safe (probably too safe :lol: ) so perhaps advanced training would be better than Bikesafe.

I enjoy bimbling about on my own (or out with Bob/Tango cos he has too put up with me/wait for me to catch up :lol: ) but trying to keep up on bigger rideouts is just embarrassing. I don't think being self-concious helps my riding either. I'm happy at speed on motorways or riding around town but I want to get quicker at cornering in the twistys but not at the expense of scaring myself to death or wrecking the bike.

23 & must have held a pass (DAS) for at least 3 years to attend Cardington> Driving Standard Agency Instructor; this then enables you ( assuming you are successful) to teach novice>onwards upto, but not including ERS, Enhansed Rider Scheme.

Rospa & IAM are both very good ways of developing your personal skills- Rospa grades differently & reassess your riding over a period of time- ensuring you continue to learn- which is what it is all about.

Good luck & let us know how you get on.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've just got back from my second day out. The first day was for them to assess my riding but this time was really the start of the training. I've been assigned the same person for all my training as they live down the road, I'll refer to them as Y.

Rather than try and do everything all in one go today we concentrated on corners and a bit of filtering, which due to lack of confidence I never do. First we did cornering, Y did a demo ride in front and then I did a few runs on the same road. Next Y took us onto a narrow B road and again did a demo ride. After this I needed a break as my concentration was starting to drop off so we went and had a drink at the services before heading back along the B road with me in front then off into Newark for a bit of town riding. This is my real weak point as I hate going slowly, I am paranoid about dropping it and I'm very wobbly. But I did OK with Y keep reminding me to use the back break and then when the traffic built up he went past and I followed for a bit of filtering. This was done v v slowly, all in first gear with him explaining what he was doing/observing and why all the time. Then to Waitrose for a debrief.

At no time was I pushed to go faster than I was comfortable with, in fact Y kept reminding me only to go as fast as I was happy with. I was riding faster than I would usually but that's because I felt more confident and knew what to look for to know if I needed to really slow for a bend.

I'd definately recommend anyone thinking about it to give it a go as I'm finding it invaluable even after a day.

I would like to do some advanced training, I had planned on this summer and also signed up to do a bikesafe course.

Unfortunately due to bike problems I never managed to get many miles under my belt, and it was still off the road when the guy called me to book the bikesafe course. Probably wouldn't have been able to do it on my bike anyway because of my back :/

Maybe next year! :D

Well I've just got back from my second day out. -I'd definately recommend anyone thinking about it to give it a go as I'm finding it invaluable even after a day.

Pleased to hear that things have gone well for you...... I'm also in Newark so and I'm lookiing to give it a go as well...not sure if i should now wait till new year or not though.

By the way if you ever feel like a steady local ride out anytime let me know....