Honda Shadow 125 over heating light on?

Guest LukeB

Hi all

I have a 05 Honda Shadow VT125. Now the over heating lamp keeps on coming on, it generally starts a couple of miles into a ride starting dim then getting brighter till it is a solid red. I am not driving in start/stop traffic. So far I have tried the following.

Change oil and filter

Flush coolant system

Remove radiator and flush

Flush from engine coolant input

Replace coolant

Test water pump (works)

Test thermostat (works)

Run bike without thermostat - light comes on but a little later

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Luke

No, but I grounded the fan and the fan does work, however it does not come on. I have ridden in cold conditions though and it makes no difference to when the light comes on

No, but I grounded the fan and the fan does work, however it does not come on. I have ridden in cold conditions though and it makes no difference to when the light comes on

Fix the fault with the fan. There will be a thermostat connected to the fan. Check the connection is sound (my son's wasn't) or the fan won't work (his didn't). :)

It'd have to be siberian cold conditions to make much difference.

the connection is fine and when grounded the fan turns on.

I have gone in a slightly different direction and filled the system with cleaning fluid. A change in behaviour, after a quick 10 mile ride, at speed the light went off... this could be a blockage issue...

Or it could be an airlock in the cooling system.

When the engine gets hot does the fan come on? As bogof says if this is not the case it could be the thermal switch that controls the fan.

When you fill the system do you use DI water or tap water? Always use DI water especially if you are in a hard water area. Tap water can fur the rad up......so you get no cooling.

I have drained the system a few times so I doubt it is a airlock and I use proper cooling fluid mixed with filtered water...

I thought about the thermal switch, but how much difference will the fan actually make?

I thought about the thermal switch, but how much difference will the fan actually make?

Erm, lots if it's needed... the bike will overheat when it gets to fan temperature if the fan doesn't switch on :roll: