Two piece or one?!

I'm going to be buying some new kit hopefully within the next month or so, i have got textiles at the moment, but i would like to get a set of leathers.

Only thing is, you can get one piece or two piece sets, but what are the advantages/disadvantages or each, if any?

I would only be buying two pieces if the could attach together though (by zip or otherwise) to avoid jacket rolling up in the (hopefully unlikely) event of a crash.

All 2 piece zip together

For normal road use 2 piece is better as you can easily take the jacket off in summer when you stop

Also go try some on as off the peg leathers are hit and miss a 1 piece might not fit :-)

Guest philgale

If your just using it on the road stick with the textiles, will be much comfier...

as for leathers, personally i would only get a 1 piece but then i don't wear leathers on the road. just wear hood riding jeans and a textile jacket.

you will find 9 time out of 10 its either too cold for leathers or you sweat your bollocks off unless your doing a ton.

See I'm completely the opposite. I prefer wearing leathers whenever I can, unless its wet. I never tried a one piece. I have a two piece as I figured it would be easier to live with day to day. I'd suggest a turtle suit if you are a weekend or track rider.

I was advised leather when I first took up biking and I therefore have a two piece for every day use. This is unvented so it can get a bit hot in the summer. When it is over hot, I have a vented leather one piece. Flea bay does some good deals, but make sure you go to a shop and cheekily try them on before buying off the web.

I have 2 piece, I would be surprised if i got 1 piece to fit my odd shape :)

Mine both from hg would zip together but i would have to get the zips done as there from different range but i dont like zipping em together anyway.

My leather jacket is vented for summer use, have a textile jacket for when its wet/winter.

I'd go for a two piece as it's more versatile. I've leathers and textiles and I sometimes wear leather trousers with a vented textile jacket when it's hot. They all have zips but I tend not to zip them together either.

Be even harder to find a one piece for my even odder shape!

Thanks for the replies, I think i'll keep a hold of my money until i see a good deal and once i have tried for size. At least i know that i will probably be best with a two piece if i get leathers. If textiles are better than leather in winter, i guess there isn't much of a rush to get any! Shame my textiles aren't very attractive, but they do the job well enough :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the replies, I think i'll keep a hold of my money until i see a good deal and once i have tried for size. At least i know that i will probably be best with a two piece if i get leathers. If textiles are better than leather in winter, i guess there isn't much of a rush to get any! Shame my textiles aren't very attractive, but they do the job well enough :lol:

2 piece for road use is also a safer and more protective option.

I won't cover it all again as I have covered the reasons for this statement on many occasions.

I have a two piece set of textiles and a one piece leather suit, I'd rather they were both two pieces to be honest.

The two piece textiles are brilliant for the fact that I can easily sit in my textiles or take my jacket off and leave it somewhere, it's brilliant. However I hate textiles and only wear them when it's too cold or wet for the leathers (even whilst wearing thermal layers, I wait until it's that bad)

I love my one piece leather suit, but I would much prefer a two piece set and would of had some if I could have found some in my size at BMF the other month.

If you want to do a track day you'll need one piece leathers or two piece that fully zip together.

The idea of this is to stop them pulling apart in a crash and leaving exposed skin to get ground away.

For preference I wear two piece leathers all the time, I had to have them made so they would be the perfect fit and the bonus was that they weren't that much more than off the peg. Textiles for the same reason don't fit too well because they are off the peg and I find them too hot.