Benefit of "racing" brake lines instead of standard ones?

XmisterIS

Apart from the cost ... I am looking at getting braided steel lines to replace my rubber ones; what are the benefits of the so-called "racing" set-up - with two hoses on a double banjo bolt coming off the front master cylinder - rather that the standard one-hose off and Y-junction down at the front mud guard? What are the drawbacks? It will cost me £30 less to get the "racing" set-up, so I'm thinking of going for it just on cost alone. (£80 for front and rear Hel lines, vs. £109 for the standard set up).

When you hit the brakes the rubber hoses expand under the pressure through the system...

This in effect is causing an inefficiency as pressure that could otherwise be going to the calipers isnt.

The steel braided lines don't expand, or at least expand as much and dont degrade with the heat and expansion that goes through the brake lines.

So basically, they last longer and apply more pressure into the calipers making your brakes better.

Hope this helps :thumb:

I've gone for the two-line kit - I think it looks better, and anyway, according to Google search and Fozzie it seems that there is no difference in performance, and going from OEM rubber lines to braided steel lines will make the brakes a lot better and less prone to failure anyway!

Also, it would seem that the brand I've gone for is the Dog's nads and has excellent reviews all over the place. Worth £80 I think!

Fozzie it seems that there is no difference in performance, and going from OEM rubber lines to braided steel lines will make the brakes a lot better and less prone to failure anyway!

Can you elaborate on that a bit, it looks like you are saying there is no difference in brake performance but it makes the brakes a lot better which contradicts?

They are supposed to allow more pressure to reach the calipers as opposed to expanding the line. Whether this is noticeable or not I dont know though on old lines that will be expanding more than new ones I would expect quite a decent change :)

I think the question the OP was asking is, is a racing brake line set-up much better than direct replacement braided hoses? I think everyone agrees that braided lines are better than original rubber ones, but is it better to go for a racing set up, or direct replacement? Assuming that you won't be on a track, racing?

:cheers:

Ahhh now its clicked...

Looking at the different I don't really see it as its still the same piston forcing the pressure down the lines. Perhaps the racing setup uses it better or theres a hidden factor like the Y junction causes a slight inefficiency the other setup doesnt :)

Ahhh now its clicked...

Looking at the different I don't really see it as its still the same piston forcing the pressure down the lines. Perhaps the racing setup uses it better or theres a hidden factor like the Y junction causes a slight inefficiency the other setup doesnt :)

I would guess that by having two lines coming directly off the master cylinder, rather than one, you can force more fluid down the lines more quickly, thus giving a sharper feel to the lever.

Probably worth noting though, that if the caliper pistons are sticky, or the pads are el-cheepo ones then any amount of money spent on brake lines won't really help much.

two lines are easier to bleed for a start

theres no real noticeable difference to be honest you loose the splitter if it has one saving a little weight

So any difference is just splitting hairs then? (boom boom!)

As for the calipers and pads, I think they're the OEM ones, and they seem pretty good. It would also seem from the reviews that braided lines last a lot longer than rubber ones, which is another bonus. Anyway, I've ordered the two-line set-up because it's cheaper!

The only way to properly improve your brakes is to uprate the calliper or use physically bigger pads/discs.

You can use 'uprated' pads in a standard setup but that will only have a tiny effect on stopping distance, unless your oem pads were totally sh*gged beforehand.

To be honest, I'm not after a full brake upgrade, just hoses that last longer than the OEM ones! The feel of the brakes as they are is just fine, but they've been getting spongey due to old fluid and probably knackered lines. The pads are fine, they were changed earlier in the year.

I phoned up Suzuki, and it turns out that a set of the OEM rubber ones would be £10 cheaper than braided steel Hel ones!!

How on earth can Suzuki justify that kind of price for something that's not nearly as good?!!

To be honest, I'm not after a full brake upgrade, just hoses that last longer than the OEM ones! The feel of the brakes as they are is just fine, but they've been getting spongey due to old fluid and probably knackered lines. The pads are fine, they were changed earlier in the year.

I phoned up Suzuki, and it turns out that a set of the OEM rubber ones would be £10 cheaper than braided steel Hel ones!!

How on earth can Suzuki justify that kind of price for something that's not nearly as good?!!

Why would they start justifying prices

They always have two options though, take it or leave it 8-)