Engine sounding worse and worse

Guest noz03

Hey guys, im new to this forum and new to motobikes also so go easy! Basically Im living in Thailand with a Honda Phantom 200cc, its 2003 model with 48000km on it. I bought it 6 months ago for my long winter holiday here and the engine sounded great, few vibrations on the gas tank but apart from that good.

Anyway, the more I drove it the worse the engine sound became, then a mechanic spotted that the exhaust had a hole or something where it connected to the engine block, he couldnt replace it so fixed it somehow (looks like shit but he said it will be fine for a few years), it sounded a little better and a little more powerful but then after a week or 2 it started getting worse again, and worse and worse. Now when I first start its ok, then if i rev it 1 time hard after that the engine sounds like an old motorboat, this passes after 1 or 2km driving and doesnt come back even if i stop for 20 minutes... very strange. Also the engine is starting to sound very dry like an old man with bad throat, mostly in the high revs... Ive taken it to the shop, a few actually but in Thailand they have no clue about anything over 100cc scooters. Any suggestions on what could be the problem? Someone said the engine timing is bad, another guy told me it needed oil... but i had it changed 400km ago.... any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated! I actually plan to sell it so want to get it sounding as wonderful as it did when i bought it or ill loose a lot of money :(

Thanks!

sounds to me like the engine has serious problems if it is knocking and banging check the oil level again i assume it is 2 stroke (dont know the bike ) if it is are you topping up the oil tank for the 2 stroke?.if it is belt drive it could be the belt and variator also on the way out.......ignore the 2 stroke thing and the belt thing just googled the bike it is 4 stroke so check engine oil and also 48,000k on it if it has been run low of oil will cause major engine problems

Thanks, yeah its a 4 stroke, when i got it the guy said he changed the oil but... this is thailand, and after about 1000km i started to think he hadnt, i changed it at that point though and the sound still seems to be getting worse. it doesnt really have a banging, the rattle wass coming from the gas tank and i dont think related. Is there anything I can do to get the engine sounding smooth again?

Oh it seems to sound the worse when I am going down hill in low gear without giving any gas. Really sounds dry and horrible :( Maybe it needs re-timing? not sure even what that means though to be honest...

I dont know what the problem could be, but if you suspect he hasn't serviced it when he said he had, it may be worth servicing it. New plugs, new oil (which you have already done), check/change the chain etc etc. It may or may not sort the problem, but it should stop any further issues