Alpinestar SMX4

Guest fizzy drinks

Anyone on here have them?

I'm toying with the idea of going for the waterproof version.

Thoughts please?

Yes Oms, I've got some. They're quite a good boot. No complaints, comfy and they stopped my foot getting mashed last december when a carpet delivery van decided to take me out -- foot was between van's bumper and the side of an ER-5...

Their RRP is £140, but I haggle and got mine for £120. Bit more for the WP version.

Think If i had my time over, I'd have shelled out another £100 and gone for some Supertechs -- think they offer a fair bit more protection... Which I'm going to do now, so getting the X4's was a false economy really....

Whats your budget?

Supertechs?

I had a look at them, however, they're basically a boot inside a boot! It must be a right pain to get them on?

Anyways, so far the SMX4's seem like the best waterproof boot I can get... unless you know of any others?

PS What's the water-resistance of standard riding boots like?

Supertechs?

I had a look at them, however, they're basically a boot inside a boot! It must be a right pain to get them on?

Anyways, so far the SMX4's seem like the best waterproof boot I can get... unless you know of any others?

PS What's the water-resistance of standard riding boots like?

I've used my in rain once or twice .. and they were pretty good actually. And would be better still if I had not been so lazy and had actually rubbed some dubbing into them.

SMX-4 - WP's retail for £160, but you should be able to get them for less than that.. £140 would seem fair, if you haggle a bit.

The Pumas have had a very good reception in the press. The Puma 1000 is supposedly the most high-tech boot on the market protection-wise. BUT i have heard the exterior cradle thingy can snag on bike-parts. So thats not ideal; but the 800s might be worth a look -- they're £170.. (haggle again)...

As far as Sidi go, I can't offer much input on them - my feet are too wide for them. I did have some a while back though -- they felt quite flimsy actually...

Depends a bit on what your own criteria are - are they every-day boots, what budget, are you bothered about what style etc etc. Theres the own brand HG stuff too, but they're a bit of an unknown quantity for me...

Another thing - I would try some SuperTechs on ---> don't be put off by the "boot in a boot" thing till you've tried it..

They're joint top of the tree protection wise -- and thats the name of the game at the end of the day....

Hey Edster,

I finally got a pair... SMX+ is what I went for in the end.

There wasn't a WP version, however, I'll worry about that when the weather starts to get sh*t again!

GAWD... I keep missing 2nd gear. I guess it'll be a while before they're broken-in.

Yep... wear em' round the house mate.. as much as you can...

they'll be like comfy slippers in a week :!:

What colour did you go for :?:

:D

PS: and rub them with dubbing -- but not the bits where you need grip - obviously... :wink:

Guest Rossi_Fan

I bought a pair of waterproof SMX-4's last week. Not used them yet but they are comfy. Got the black ones with grey logos. £160 from Gericke's

Yep... wear em' round the house mate.. as much as you can...

they'll be like comfy slippers in a week :!:

What colour did you go for :?:

:D

PS: and rub them with dubbing -- but not the bits where you need grip - obviously... :wink:

Ellooo!

I went for black ones. :)

I was concerned that the Waterproof SMX4's would be too hot & sweaty in the height of summer... so I'll worry about waterproof boots later on!

yes its what you get for riding around on hot days and end up spending 140 quid, glad to hear i am not the only one who misses gears in new boots

got a blue pair to go with me leathers daughter would have moaned at me for not being colour co-ordinated otherwise