GSX-R600 SRAD Trouble Solved

philcarr24

Okay so only had this bike a few days (First one) and after leaving the bike over night it has a trouble starting in the morning!

I have to keep the electric start on for ages before it fires, then after this it's fine and starts up throughout the day then.

Untill I leave it overnight again and it's the same issue again.

Bike Details

Make : SUZUKI

Model : GSX-R600 SRAD

Year : 1997

I have removed the battery and placed it on charge overnight. It is receiving a charge. So What I intend to do is take it off charge in the morning, go to work, and try the battery in the bike tomorrow when I return from work. If the bike starts I then know it's not an issue with the battery, is this right?

Edited by philcarr24

I have to keep the electric start on for ages before it fires, then after this it's fine and starts up throughout the day then.

Untill I leave it overnight again and it's the same issue again.

Nothing wrong with the battery if it turns the engine over for ages.

Like augustburnsred says, are you using the choke??

Nope. 97 :-) hmmm I wonder then. Wen it fires up, it loses power after about 5 seconds, unless I keep hold of the start button for like a,minute. :/ alternator regulator?

Not a battery/charging problem IMO, the battery is strong enough to turn the starter motor for way longer than usual, so its also strong enough to make the spark and run injectors etc.

More likely a fuelling problem. does it start better if you give it a bit of throttle?

Ahh really? What do I need to solve this then mate?

Update:

Okay So placed the battery on charge yesterday (removed from the bike so nothing is drawing from it) and last night removed it once fully charged. Here are the readings from the voltimeter

Saturday

8pm 13.5v (Soon as I took it off charge)

8.15pm 13.3v

8.30pm 13 v

11:30pm 12.77v

Sunday Morning

7:30am 12.3v

To clarify, When using electric start after leaving overnight, it turns over with limited power, if I turn the throttle it dies, however if i keep hold of the electric start it will eventually run on its own, and i can then rev the engine freely

Sounds like your battery is knackered, my bike won't start at 12.3v

Also iiisecondcreeps srad is a little temperamental starting from cold, iirc start it, then put the choke on and let it warm up. Should be fine after about 5 mins.

Also iiisecondcreeps srad is a little temperamental starting from cold, iirc start it, then put the choke on and let it warm up. Should be fine after about 5 mins.

He reckons it doenst have a choke...

IMO if it turns the engine over for more than 20seconds, there is nothing wrong with the battery.

Had the bike been standing for a while before you got it?? what state is the fuel in?? rust in the tank??

He reckons it doenst have a choke...

IMO if it turns the engine over for more than 20seconds, there is nothing wrong with the battery.

Had the bike been standing for a while before you got it?? what state is the fuel in?? rust in the tank??

If it's loosing that much charge over night then i think it's gone. Having just gone through a load of testing on my bike, it'll start when I've just taken the battery off charge, running will charge the battery, but leave it a few days and the voltage is down followed by not being able to start.

Regarding the choke, I'd be surprised if the choke disappeared on the 97 model then came back for the 98, or that the Haynes is wrong?

:?

FRIG-ING-HELL

I was underthe impression that the mike was without choke, will check it later on when im home from work. Thar battery has dropped to 12 volts now, Does this mean its on the way out?

EDIT . Was The Choke!!!! Thanks for the input guys,

:?

FRIG-ING-HELL

I was underthe impression that the mike was without choke, will check it later on when im home from work. Thar battery has dropped to 12 volts now, Does this mean its on the way out?

EDIT . Was The Choke!!!! Thanks for the input guys,

LOL, nice one.. glad it was a simple fix...

As for the battery, monitor it, but as i said, you might not need to replace just yet, depending on how often you ride, and if you have an alarm fitted (or anything else that drains the battery).

Generally, if the battery will turn the bike over for 10-20 seconds (like yours seems to be capable of) then its still quite strong, and a healthy bike (with choke) will start within less than 2 seconds. i wouldnt replace the battery just yet ;)