Helmets

Guest surferdude

Hi all, went to a shop yesterday after my CBT to get my first helmet. Shop had a good range of helmets but none that felt like they fit properly. They didn't have many of the larger sizes in stock - but yes I do have a BIG head. So gonna buy one off the net. Has anyone had any experience with these helmets; Nitro Aikido (donno the rules with newbs posting links - was frowned apon in other forums i used to use)

Cheers

Unless you know for sure it is a good fit (because you have tried that exact make, model and size on before) then don't buy it off the net. Different manufacturers, and even different styles within the same line up, will fit differently.

Helmets are the one thing you really have to try on before you buy.

I am not sure about the Aikido, but I tried some Nitro's on a couple of months ago, I have quite a small head and even the large pinched me across the forehead, while being quite loose elsewhere. Enough to make me think it would give me a headache after half an hour, without actually being a tight enough fit to be safe.

Kinda live in the arse end of nowhere so not really any motorbike shops around here which is why i was thinking of getting one offline, if it doesn't fit properly i was just gonna send it back and try another one (although this will be a major pain in the ass).

Kinda live in the arse end of nowhere so not really any motorbike shops around here which is why i was thinking of getting one offline, if it doesn't fit properly i was just gonna send it back and try another one (although this will be a major pain in the ass).

What about all of the other gear you will need?? why not make a special trip to your nearest bike clothing dealer and get the lot all in one go? afterall, you're going to need a whole lot more than just a helmet!!

If you've already been to a shop and tried a few on, and none fitted, then buying one online is a recipe for disaster IMO.

Make sure they accept returns. A lot of places won't on a helmet as you could have dropped it.

(I know distance selling regulations say you can, but they normally caveat helmets as no return, and although if you went to court you would probably win, it is a lot of hassle)

Hey thanks for all of the replys. I know buying online without trying things on first isn't the best option but its what i'm most likely gonna do. Yeah would only get a helmet from somewherer that excepts returns. Can anyone tell me if this deal is worthwhile;

http://www.topgearsuperstore.com/clothi ... age-1.html

Is it good value or can you get better for that sort of price? Don't really want to spend more than that just starting out.

Hey thanks for all of the replys. I know buying online without trying things on first isn't the best option but its what i'm most likely gonna do. Yeah would only get a helmet from somewherer that excepts returns. Can anyone tell me if this deal is worthwhile;

http://www.topgearsuperstore.com/clothi ... age-1.html

Is it good value or can you get better for that sort of price? Don't really want to spend more than that just starting out.

The chance of all of that fitting you properly, is virtually zero!!

why not go and visit a store to buy your gear?

You need to go into a good Motor Bike shop that has helmets and get advice. If you wear one that is ill fitting and you come off your bike it could break your neck where as a good fitting one will probably save it. All your motorbike clothing need to be able to do the job well and fit correctly. Remember getting cheap kit may result in expensive wheel chairs and care.

As said above, fit is the most important aspect of the helmet, so you really do need to go and get one fitted, it may be a pain but it is definatley something that needs to be done. A £50 helmet that fits is better than a £300 that does not.

On another note, the helmet included in that deal is good (useless unless it fits properly) but yeah I go for shark helmets, and have had the Shark RSI a couple of times.

I know you want to buy online, and with deals like that, who can blame you? But you can possibly get away with getting your other stuff online, but a helmet is what is going to save your brain... so needs to be right. Brains are very delicate... and very important :)

Looking at the reviews of the Jacket and trousers they seem good and size true so I'd be pretty confident of everything but the helmet. Having recently been helmet shopping (for a shark) I ended up with an HJC as i just didn't have a shark head. After previously having Shoei, Arai, Caberg too I'd certainly suggest at least making a trip to go try on the helmet if nothing else.

Online prices are not always the best once you factor in postage costs.

Go to a store, try on a load of gear, take it to the counter and then ask for your discount. Most stores will give you some money off if you're buying a load of stuff.

Hey, again thanks for all of the replys. Ended up ordering offline. Not the best idea but i'll just keep sending it back till i find stuff that fits properly. The stuff i've ordered isn't exactly the same as shown above due to sizes. The helmet is an agv k3? (can't remember the exact name) and the jacket and trousers are the richa rift. Due to come this week sometime.

Now if someone would like to give me a bike :D ......

Anyone had much experience with the cruiser style 125's......shadow,AJS,maurader, etc. Hows about the dreaded chinese ones?

You need to go into a good Motor Bike shop that has helmets and get advice. If you wear one that is ill fitting and you come off your bike it could break your neck where as a good fitting one will probably save it. All your motorbike clothing need to be able to do the job well and fit correctly. Remember getting cheap kit may result in expensive wheel chairs and care.

i agree with it....

• 3 weeks later...

This is probably going to be a bit of a rude first post. You asked people for advice totally ignored it, then asked for some more, if you had no intention of following advice why ask?

just b ecause ive had a marauder i will reply... tho as already said , you seem to ask then ignore... but here goes... having had a marauder ... i loved it, its a big 125 and looks and feels like a bigger bike, BUT.. if you are tall it may not work, as the seat is very very low( im 5 foot nothing and could flat foot confortably) also as it has quite long forks, and wheelbase, it isnt the easiest for manouvering.

chinese bikes are cheap for a reason.. a good jap bike will hold its value, while the chinese slowly rust away ( or not so slowly)