Small hole in exhaust CB 750

Raym

Hi Guys

I have noticed a quite small hole appearing in the bottom of my exhaust ( where the down pipes fit into) has anyone got any ideas how to botch it up I was going to try exhaust paste . The bike will only be used for me to travel to work and back so I am not botherd if the repair is ugly .

I priced the cost of a new part :crybaby: they aint cheap !! so i hope there is a solution out there

Thanks in advance

Hi there, unfortunately once a mild steel exhaust starts to rot, it's a slippery slope.

You can put some exhaust goo on it, but that is a VERY short term fix. as in for a week or two. I feel your pain re the cost of a new exhaust.

I think the best bet is take the exhaust off and have a really good look at it, take the downpipes out of the collector box and give it all a really good clean with wd40 and a wire brush. What you need is an idea if its still useable or going in the bin. If its completely shot already, leaving it on won't work as it will fall apart in short order, but if it's not too bad take it somewhere that welds and get them to go over it and repair any small holes, and strengthen it where they can. That might buy you a year, possibly two.

In the meantime, get on fleabay and try and source a used one, they do come up cheap from time to time. I had a stainless nexus motad system complete for my old XJ for about £60 from memory from a breaker. They are about £400 new.

Go stainless if possible, mild steel ALWAYS rots fast. don 't worry about surface rust, cheap stainless will get surface rust, but wont rust through and will clean up with some oil.

are you sure it is a rot hole as a lot of exxhaust systems have a small hole in the bottom to allow the condensation to drip out as when the exhaust goes from cold to hot it makes a lot of condensation hence the whiteish smoke on first start up on cold mornings