Visors (and their legality)

So I was flicking through a box of stuff and found my helmet user guide and other related crap, and saw their range of iridium visors that they sell. Im not normally one to buy useless cosmetic stuff, but a silver iridium visor would go really well with both helmet and bike, so wanted to get one.

So google tells me that visors are legal as long as they allow 50% of light to get through, or something along those lines - is this true?

Will the police pull me for having the visor and want to test it every time they see it even if it is legal?

are there any other related drawbacks to iridium/tinted visors? (can you realistically ride at night with an iridium one?)

Thanks guys!

They may be illegal but no one gives a crap, in some circumstances I see them as a life saver especially this time of year, never owned and iridium but I would assume riding at night is a no no just carry a clear one.

I've never known anyone pulled for a dark visor.

They may be illegal but no one gives a crap, in some circumstances I see them as a life saver especially this time of year, never owned and iridium but I would assume riding at night is a no no just carry a clear one.

you say that they may be illegal as if its a certainty - is there absolutely no leeway with the law (at least in text) about iridium visors?

I actually have a flip down sun visor in my helmet - i just want the coloured one to look cooler :oops:

Hi i've used a dark tint and mirrored visors for ages and never had a problem what so ever.

Just mske shaw you carry your clear visor in the evenings to night to avoid being court out when it gets dark.

Anyway tinted visors were made legal about 3 years ago but its up to the police but its not a problem 99% shaw.

as techno saiid just make sure you're carrying a clear one, and change it if challenged/ neccessary

if a policeman stops me with it, whats the worst case scenario/harshest punishment he can lay on me for riding with it?

Rather than carrying a clear visor about, just keep a pair of clear safety glasses under your seat. If pulled and asked to remove the tinted visor, you can get home wearing the safety glasses. 8-)

http://thepitwalk.files.wordpress.com/2010/04/mcr-forceflex-safety-glasses.jpg

Certain tinted visors are legal in the UK if they only restrict a certain amount of light as defined in the Regs. You can get a fine for using an illegal one. Similar to the Regs for tinted windows in cars.

There were two main reasons for the regulations. Dark visors blur the peripheral vision and, at the time of the regulations, tinted visors didn't pass the ballistic test. For some reason they were more brittle but I'm sure materials have moved on since then though.

Secondary internal visors aren't regulated and can be as dark as you like and no different in principle to wearing sunglasses.

You would be unlucky to get a fine unless you wear an illegal one at night.

I don't know the law on tinted visors although some are marked as not for road use. Probably to save the manufacturer if anything was to happen..

Regarding wearing them at night, you would probably get a telling off from plod but then you only have yourself to blame. Would you honestly drive at night wearing dark sunglasses..?

I don't know the law on tinted visors although some are marked as not for road use. Probably to save the manufacturer if anything was to happen..

Regarding wearing them at night, you would probably get a telling off from plod but then you only have yourself to blame. Would you honestly drive at night wearing dark sunglasses..?

no, ofcourse i wouldnt drive in sunglasses at night, but especially with the shorter days rolling in now, it wouldnt be too hard to be caught out with traffic/distractions/other plans meaning that you actually stay out longer than intended and end up riding in less light.

Ive had a quick look for visors - so far all of them say "not UK road legal" underneath them. Its such a shame we live in such a place where we cant be trusted to use common sense ourselves and must have it enforced by law.

anyone know any good visor specific online retailers or anything like that? (its for an AGV sv-s4 lid) where i could look around?

My daily commute, either way, rides me directly into the rising/falling sun. On occations I`ve left my tinted visor at home and rode home with my head virtually touching my chest in order to use the shade from the top of the visor cut out to be able to see ahead. Legal or not, if I was to be stopped, I`d challenge Mr PC to put on my lid and look directly into the sun and then tall me I`m safer with a clear visor.

As far as the law goes, I`m not too sure, but I`ll carry on wearing mine for my own safety reasons and worry about getting done should it happen.

And anyway.....dark visor do look sooooo coool. 8-) :lol:

740496832_Copyof100e0731.jpg.22c3abd1b00012a8f6bf9523eab3de46.jpg

My daily commute, either way, rides me directly into the rising/falling sun. On occations I`ve left my tinted visor at home and rode home with my head virtually touching my chest in order to use the shade from the top of the visor cut out to be able to see ahead. Legal or not, if I was to be stopped, I`d challenge Mr PC to put on my lid and look directly into the sun and then tall me I`m safer with a clear visor.

As far as the law goes, I`m not too sure, but I`ll carry on wearing mine for my own safety reasons and worry about getting done should it happen.

And anyway.....dark visor do look sooooo coool. 8-) :lol:

yes my ride to work is into the rising sun, and the ride home is into the setting sun, so its not much fun either way! especially with wet roads reflecting everything too!

i think im gonna get one when ive saved up a few pennies now, theyre easy enough to change back and forth so shouldnt be much of a problem.

• 3 weeks later...

That Linc's bike cop that did me on the way to Cadwell Park for my cans also gave my visors a good looking over and warned me that he could book me also for the dark visor, it was only when we told him that the clear one's were in the top box that he backed off. The weather was bright and sunny!

That Linc's bike cop that did me on the way to Cadwell Park for my cans also gave my visors a good looking over and warned me that he could book me also for the dark visor, it was only when we told him that the clear one's were in the top box that he backed off. The weather was bright and sunny!

he really didnt like you did he... :( wonder why he picked you out from all the other bikers there??

he really didnt like you did he... :( wonder why he picked you out from all the other bikers there??[/quo

Totally random Mate, we were doing nothing wrong just bumbling along with the traffic. After nicking my bro whose plate was a nats and l mean a nats undersize for £60.00 He went around my bike, he then got on his hand and knees to check the pipes. Got up and wrote me a ticket £30 for the pipes. He then caution me saying and l quote “You might think l’m being anal, but l could also do you for the visor have a nice day”. He just used us as a cash cow. Bet he wouldn’t have dared gone after the bunch of Harley riders that had just go by with shot gun exhaust pipes shaking the houses as they went. Years ago we might have had a talking to or bollocking now it’s all about money, easy money!

• 1 month later...

I was told in my lessons 6 month ago that all tinted visors are totally illegal and you can be given 3 points and a 60 quid fine for it, I also mentioned the drop down sunglasses in helmets you buy which are legal seems stupid but hey that's the law. I use a dark tint black visor and occasionally a silver totally mirrored visor and have never been stopped for it but just remember if the sneaky po po wanted to fine you and give you points the could