helmet cams for day-to-day use

Guest wjhall

<t>Do you use a Helmet cam or similar for commuting and day-to-day riding?</t>  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use a Helmet cam or similar for commuting and day-to-day riding?

• Yes, and the footage has been used in a claim/prosecution
    • Yes, but It's not yet caught anything serious
    • No, but im going to get one
    • No, i would but they're too expensive
    • No, i dont see the point
    • Some other option explained below

On my commute, i pass a couple of riders who regularly wear a helmet-cam. In the news we occationally see reports of video evidence from cyclist helmet cams being used to prosecute road rage and the like, so i was just wondering, do you use a helmet cam? if so has it ever produced evidence used against anyone, from finding fault in a serious accident to careless driving or mobile phone use

I bought a go pro for my biking hols last year. I wore it a few times travelling into work (central London) but figured it captured me doing things that I wouldn't want anyone official seeing. Yes they're great for capturing what happens in an accident but also capture everything before including any breaks of speed limits, riding over chevron when getting past traffic etc. (yes, this is a normal part of a London commute and if anyone said different they'd be lying).

I bought a go pro for my biking hols last year. I wore it a few times travelling into work (central London) but figured it captured me doing things that I wouldn't want anyone official seeing. Yes they're great for capturing what happens in an accident but also capture everything before including any breaks of speed limits, riding over chevron when getting past traffic etc. (yes, this is a normal part of a London commute and if anyone said different they'd be lying).

The solution is to 'hide' the camera in the fairing etc. Ideally wired into the ignition circuit, with the feature that once it fills the memory card, starts to overwrite the file again, from the beginning. Faff free - just need to remember to check once and a while that it's still working!

(if anyone knows of a suitable camera for that, i'd be interested) :lol:

Hmmmm. After the ride home last night, I am thinking of getting one. I had two cars try and kill me in 4 miles of 30mph city road. First one pulled over to the left without indicating, I thought he was pulling to park or drop someone off, just as I am pulling level with him, he swings out and goes straight into a U turn. Then 200yds up the road another cock of a different variety just pulls out in front of me from a side junction. I knew he was going to do it, no idea how, I looked at him, and my spidey sense just said-'he's going'.

Interesting question-has anyone got anyone prosecuted for dangerous driving by submitting footage to the police? I would certainly report the U turn idiot if I could!

Interesting question-has anyone got anyone prosecuted for dangerous driving by submitting footage to the police? I would certainly report the U turn idiot if I could!

Not sure, but i know sometmes the police give out section 59's based on 'concerned members of the public' reports, let alone on actual video evidence.

Edit: Just remembered a conversation with my driving instructor - Yes, the police will prosecute based on footage and a report from a member of the public. Or even without footage, if there's another witness on top of the person reporting it and one of the witnesses is a 'professional'.