GPZ500S Rattling and issues

davidbg93

Hi guys, some technical advice needed!

My N reg (96) GPZ500S (45k on the clock) has started rattling at low revs - it's a definite metal on metal sound which sounds pretty nasty, I've not had it that long so I don't really know the bike too well. The drive chain sprockets are fine and I've checked the exhaust etc over, nothing loose anywhere.

The rattling is worst when slow down and coming down through the gears but it's also bad pulling away and it's getting harder and harder to pull away without using a lot of revs so I've stopped riding it now. It also rattles a little bit just revving it in neutral and I'm sure it's coming from inside the clutch casing - which I'm not brave enough to take apart without knowing more about it. I'd say it's between and 2500 and 4000 ish.

I also thought it could be oil related so I went to what I assumed was the dip stick cap on the right of the engine to find it was just a cap - no dipstick at all and not a lot to be seen inside the hole - anyone have/ had a GPZ500S know if this is right?

While I'm on the subject of other issues with the bike! The mirrors will not stay still - any kind of bump or G force and they just slide away from where I want them to be. Also the indicators flash very slowly at speed and not at all when stationary - is this just likely to be a low battery?

Ah ok, makes sense... Except cant see a thing through that bit of glass! So old and clouded up!

I have a GPZ500, the glass does cloud up with condensation. A good run long enough to get the engine hot should clear it.

I can't answer specifically about your bike, but these engines do tend to clatter quite noticeably at tick-over and low revs.

Cam chain tensioner is probably seized.. Its self adjusting but after 45k it could very well have seized. That would be my first point of call, if I remember correctly from when I had one it's between the downpipes.

It would explain your lack of power if your cams are out then your valves are opening and closing at the wrong time so your engine isn't working efficiently.

For future reference mechanical issues are normally posted in the pitstop area of the forum ;)