Is this the route I have to take?

Guest G30

Hi, I'm a 19 year old guy and want to eventually get an A license. Obviously I can't just go and do the tests for it right now, I can only get an A2 license. Anyway, considering as I doubt I'll want to stay on a little 125 learner legal for two years until I can get my A license and you (apparently) can't learn on a bigger bike (A2 license bikes) after doing CBT and theory to go straight to A2, or can you? (As in no previous experience, do CBT, do theory and pay an instructor to teach you on a bigger bike and get your A2 license without having to buy and learn on a 125)

Is this the route I have to take:

1. Do CBT (and theory), buy a 125cc and learn on it

2. Do A2 tests, buy a bike with max 46.6bhp and 0.2kw power-to-weight ratio

3. Do A tests, buy any bike.

Why do I need 3 bikes? Of course I could just learn on some learner legal 125cc and keep it for 2 yrs then buy some big bike when I'm 21 but why should I be forced to do that?

You can do this route.

Do CBT, do lessons, take theory, take practical, buy 47 bhp bike. Ride for two years, repeat process for your full A (minus CBT).

That would be your A2 and you can do it with an A1 :)

And for the record you don't need 3 bikes as you only need one. You have the option of either using one of the school's bikes for the test/CBT or your own, and apparently for the A2 test now you can do it on a bike with a max of 92 BHP? I'm sure I read that posted in another topic on here before (If I remember it right I also quoted it...Will look for it now).

Edit - Found it :)

Once you pass your A2 restricted motorcycle test, you can then ride any motorbike or scooter of your choice, providing that you have restricted the power output to a maximum of 35kw (46.6bhp). However, European Legislation states that you can only restrict a bike for the A2 test which had an original the power output not greater than 70kw (93.2bph) according to the original manufacturer's declartion.

Wait so I can do CBT, theory, take lessons to teach me stuff I will need to know for the A2 tests then complete tests, buy an A2 license friendly bike without having to ever own a 125?

And for the record you don't need 3 bikes as you only need one. You have the option of either using one of the school's bikes for the test/CBT or your own, and apparently for the A2 test now you can do it on a bike with a max of 92 BHP? I'm sure I read that posted in another topic on here before (If I remember it right I also quoted it...Will look for it now).

Edit - Found it :)

Once you pass your A2 restricted motorcycle test, you can then ride any motorbike or scooter of your choice, providing that you have restricted the power output to a maximum of 35kw (46.6bhp). However, European Legislation states that you can only restrict a bike for the A2 test which had an original the power output not greater than 70kw (93.2bph) according to the original manufacturer's declartion.

Providing it is restricted etc etc. So you can test on a 35kw, which can be a bike of an original output (before restriction) of 70kw.

Wait so I can do CBT, theory, take lessons to teach me stuff I will need to know for the A2 tests then complete tests, buy an A2 license friendly bike without having to ever own a 125?

Yes :)

OMFG, this is the first time I've seen Rennie not chi in with "Please put your location in your profile" hahahaha! :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

Good luck with the bikey testy-ness :lol:

PS - my tip for before CBT is, if you can, to ask someone with a motorbike to explain clutch & throttle and changing gears before CBT - may help you stall less hehe! There are Youtube vids too.

Would it be better (iyo) to learn on a 125 and then take the tests or do everything in all one go with an instructor, do the tests and then buy the bigger bike without ever owning a 125 and then in 2 yrs+ buy any bike? I suppose once I do the CBT and get out on the road it should give me an indication. Obviously the more training will cost a lot more but it means I don't need to lose money on a 125 just to learn on it.

Would it be better (iyo) to learn on a 125 and then take the tests or do everything in all one go with an instructor, do the tests and then buy the bigger bike without ever owning a 125 and then in 2 yrs+ buy any bike? I suppose once I do the CBT and get out on the road it should give me an indication. Obviously the more training will cost a lot more but it means I don't need to lose money on a 125 just to learn on it.

Up to the individual, personally I didn't bother getting a 125cc and that was the right decision for me. Riding around on a 125cc doesn't necessarily mean that the training to pass your test will cost less as you may be picking up bad habits etc without realising it (unless you are continuing with lessons whilst having 125cc/have someone who can offer guidance).

I am thinking about the Yamaha YZF-R125. I'm fairly certain I would be happy on it for 2+ years until I get a bigger bike. The thing is, I have a thing for new stuff, and it would be awesome to say 'this beauty is mine, and has only ever been mine!' but I don't know if the price tag is worth it, especially to a 19 year old.

I have a 125 while I do my tests. The experience (for me) is invaluable. on slower manoeuvres on the bigger bikes, I've had no troubles and nailed all but the fig 8 first time. However, you will quickly find that a 125 is way under powered, especially if you take it on the open road. You're sometimes at the mercy of other traffic as a regular family saloon will probably pip you off the line at lights if they give it beans. In short, you will become incredibly fed up with a 125 very quickly. having said that, they're forgiving. If you cock up a gear change on a 125 (dump the clutch) you will pull a little wheelie (!) do it on a bigger bike and you may find the thing runs away with you!

so, a 125 is excellent, but you will get bored with it and crave something more powerful, not necessarily to go faster, but to give you that little squirt of power at the lights, or overtake a granny doing 40 in a national speed limit area.

The YZF125 is a damn good looking bike, but under all that pretty fairing, it's a 125.

After I obtain my A2 license, can I stay on a 125 to qualify to get any bike after 2 years and obtain my A-License, or does it need to be a bigger bike (I've heard at least 395cc been thrown about).

After I obtain my A2 license, can I stay on a 125 to qualify to get any bike after 2 years and obtain my A-License, or does it need to be a bigger bike (I've heard at least 395cc been thrown about).

The "at least 395" refers to the size of bike you have to sit the test on. When you've passed your test you can have any size you like, of course you can have a 125 if you want. You don't even have to have any bike at all for those 2 years, it's just 2 years later you're allowed to do your test again on the big bike.

Ahh, thanks. Got some decisions to make. Dunno whether to wait it out and do A2's and then buy an "A2 class" bike or buy a 125 then perhaps a bigger one (unless I wait it out on the 125) then once I've got my A License buy an even bigger one. If I find a 125 I could be on the road pretty much straight away but surely a bigger bike would satisfy me longer until I can get any bike.

Hmm...