R&G Crash Protectors

Hi all just bought a new Yamaha XJ6 Diversion F and I am looking at getting a set of R&G crash bungs fitted on them. The only problem I have is they have to drill holes in the faring to fix them on. Any one else been through the pain full experience/thought of drilling holes in a new faring? Are they worth it?

Thanks

Hmmm....that's a tough one mate.....balancing deliberately drilling holes in a fairing....or risking getting it scratched if the bike goes over...... :?

I had to drill holes in the side fairings on a Speed 4 I had a couple of years back.......it actually went quite well......but I was sweating on getting the holes in the right place...... :wink:

Are there none available that don't require drilling the fairing?

Hmmm....that's a tough one mate.....balancing deliberately drilling holes in a fairing....or risking getting it scratched if the bike goes over...... :?

I had to drill holes in the side fairings on a Speed 4 I had a couple of years back.......it actually went quite well......but I was sweating on getting the holes in the right place...... :wink:

I have looked everywhere and spoken to loads of dealers and the same old answer drill some holes. I will get the local Yamaha dealer to do it for me but still. Holes in my farings :?

Having a similar dilemma with the vfr... 17yr old fairings are not easy to replace if you get it wrong... or slide it down the road :roll:

Have r&g bungs on the gsxr and they saved the fairing when it got blown over in the wind, but the panels on that conveniently have holes where they go!

I have looked everywhere and spoken to loads of dealers and the same old answer drill some holes. I will get the local Yamaha dealer to do it for me but still. Holes in my farings :?

If they're done right they don't even notice coz the mushroom head on the crash bungs covers the holes anyway.....but I know where you're coming from.....I had this dilemma....and that was on an 8 year old bike...... :wink:

Pic below is the S4...and you can see how the head of the crash bung kinda masks the hole on the fairing...... 8-)

P1010808.JPG.200997f6d920c924ab15a521702f2574.JPG

Guest Hodgy

I had to drill holes in the fairing on my ZZR, there were full instructions of how to measure where the hole should go, and it's quite easy to do, also the design of the bungs means they hide the hole which makes it look much tidier :)

I was looking into these for CBR's and non-drill ones connect in the same place but are on brackets etc which means they come out in a gap in the fairings.

The problem with these is they bend much easier and sometimes snap in a crash. Getting ones you need to drill will help in a crash a lot better

Tip I was given. When you've got the fairing off put the bolt from the crash bung in the hole, put a dollop of paint on the bolt head and then put the fairing on. There will then be a nice print on the inside of the fairing where the hole needs to be :)

I was quite happy to drill the holes in my fairings but on the VFR you have to change the coolant reservoir (since that sits right where the crash bung wants to go) and then they sit on a ruddy great bar that goes all the way across the frame through one of the engine bolt holes so when the instructions involved draining the entire coolant and unbolting the engine I chickened out and asked the garage to do it at the next MOT :D

I'd say they were well worth it though, only have to drop it once and they've paid for themselves.