Cant wait to get started!!

Ok just joined this forum.

Im looking to crack on with obtaining my bike license in the near future.

Im guessing the process still consists of CBT, theory and hazard perception, then module 1&2?

I will get the CBT done next month, and in the meantime i will revise for my theory.

Which leaves me with one question.

What is the best material to learn for the theory test? Is the DSA book still the only thing you need to get you through the test?

Hi and welcome to the forum. Pop over introduce yourself in newbies

First question: how old are you?.. The process is still the same: CBT, Theory/Hazard, mod1, mod2 but it will change what bike you do the tests on and what licence you get out the other end.

If you can find a book with a DVD you can stick in the computer it's far better than a book itself. Learning the questions for the theory isn't hard, just got to go through them a few times to get all the questions solidified. Practicing the hazard is far more valuable to understand the ins and outs of it so if you can get something that will let you practice a few on the computer it's well worth it.

Thanks for your reply mate.

Im 29. And never riden a bike before. So i have no intentions of rushing this.

I want to learn and get theory and hazard perception out the way first. Then after CBT, stay on a 125 for a while to get some experience before i even start having lessons.

Hi - Just a few questions...

Do you drive? If so the hazard perception should be a breeze but definately practice. I used a book and CD for the test and it was ok but nerve wracking.

Why do you want to go the 125 route? If you have never driven then I can see that as your hazard perception would be lower. However if you have driven and are sensible (think would you see how fast your first bike could go straight away, if yes not sensible!) you would be better to do the DAS and get a big bike. They are easier to ride and the L plate is a target.

Don't forget once you pass your test you can go and buy a hayabusa so they have high standards.

Just my opinion. If you don't trust yourself then do the 125 route but I would be asking why are looking at bikes anyway if not sensible :)

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Rich

I did my cbt and did relatively little riding for a couple of years. Then I got a new job and needed to get to work so I bought a 125.

It depends on you entirely, I know several people that took the das test without riding a 125 and they were fine. I also know a couple that have been trying to pass mod 1 and are still failing 6 attempts in!

I found the experience on the 125 invaluable and doubt I'd have passed my tests 1st time without. However it was expensive doing it that way. I spent thousands. Bike £1400. Leathers 200 helmet 140 boots 70 gloves 40. Then there was about 500 on the das 100 on the cbt and 30 on the theory.

However I've loved every minute of it. It's my transport, my hobby and its always damn good fun. No ride is ever the same and you're always kept on your toes. You have a great community of people and some of the nicest people you will meet. And they're all looking out for you as well. It's the greatest decision I ever made.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies guys.

Im 29 years old, been driving for 12 years. so have basic road sense.

Never rode anything on two wheels before, apart from a push bike of course. So that is why i have decided to buy a 125cc after CBT just to get the feel of a bike and build my confidence etc. Im sure taking this route would only benefit me.

I have booked my theory test for oct 12th. I am passing mock test with flying colours and have read the book cover to cover, just have to practise hazard perception next. Then i will be taking my CBT, and go from there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi mate when i was learning my theory i got an app for the iphone so i could have it with me on the go and could look through it in work and anytime i had a spare 10 mins it has mock tests on there aswell its called motocycle theory test