Quick advice on license requirements...

Guest mrk123

Hi - hope this is the right place to ask this..

I am wanting to get a bike on the road for spring.

I am 29, male, and have only ever been insured on a 125cc on my CBT. I want to get a bigger bike, a 535cc Yamaha.

Can I get insured on this with ease? What license do I need to apply for? I don't have a full UK driving license either.

Look forward to any help.

OK mate......you'd need to prove that you have an "A" entitlement on your license......if not, you'll have to apply for a UK license and do a DAS (Direct access) test....which, as you are 29, you'll be OK to do...... 8-)

Hi - hope this is the right place to ask this..

I am wanting to get a bike on the road for spring.

I am 29, male, and have only ever been insured on a 125cc on my CBT. I want to get a bigger bike, a 535cc Yamaha.

Can I get insured on this with ease? What license do I need to apply for? I don't have a full UK driving license either.

Look forward to any help.

Do you have a UK licence at all? If not, you won't have the paper counterpart to your licence and won't have Provisional Group A entitlement so you will be unable to sit a test in the UK for motorcycles.

If you DO have Provisional Group A, then you need to pass a Group A test to gain full motorcycle entitlement.

Hi thanks for the info..

I have a UK Provisional, you know the usual green one.. Category A, B, f, k p (whatever all the letters mean).

I am guessing this is an A entitlement.... ?

To be honest I will need to do my theory again, but once I have that it's just a case of doing the D.A.S course??

Sorry for the staggered messages here..

Is the DAS required?

Can i do hourly lessons then apply for my Bike test, and this test is £60 or so right?

Yes you can. In fact, you CAN pass the test with no training whatsoever (if you can overcome the tricky bits liek getting a big bike to the test centre etc) but you'd be well advised to get the training first.

Average cost seems to be between 300 and 600 ukp depending on area

You say you have a provisional? In that case no you dont have an entitlement for a big bike. You will struggle to find a school that will do hourly lessons, a das course ranges between 4-7 days at a cost of anywhere from £550 upwards

Sorry mate....I misintepreted your first post...... :oops:

So....if you have a UK provisional license then yes, you will need to do the DAS..... 8-) Because of your age there will be no restrictions on the size of bike you can get after passing.....so the Yammy 535 will deffo be OK...... 8-)

Unfortunately there seems to be no simple way to do the test without going through a school......and TBH you're probably better off doing some training anyway......so, it's gonna cost.....but you'll probably find that it'll be a good investment in the long run...... :wink:

Assuming your CBT is still in date?

You need theory and then do your test.

For DAS the test is taken on a 600cc bike and there are 2 parts:

Part one is the slow speed control round the cones in the car park bit, costs £15.50 (plus if you've gone through a school their bike and instructor hire)

Part 2 is the ride round the roads with an examiner behind. £75 during the week, £88.50 (plus bike blah blah)

Don't have to take both on the same day (I had 2 weeks between mine)

With DAS you can then ride anything you like.

You will struggle to find a school that will do hourly lessons, a das course ranges between 4-7 days at a cost of anywhere from £550 upwards

Not at all, I did an hour a week on Saturday afternoons for a few months and far preferred doing it that way, meant I had a week to practice what I'd been taught on the Saturday and didn't end up paying the instructor full time when half the time he's stood having a fag watching me wobble round the car park :lol:

Whereabouts are you? Might be someone near you can give you school recommendations if you haven't got one in mind already?

As you have your CBT all you need to do is pass the theory test get some training and past both parts of the practical test.

DAS or Direct Access doesn't mean you have to do all the training in one go you could do it over several Saturdays for example, find a local trainer one that's recommended is best they will give you an idea of how much training you need to pass the test everyone is different, people learn at different rates.

the cost will of course depend on how much training you require.

As for insurance it won't be difficult to insure it's likely to cost a little more but you can get a quote before buying or even passing your test either ask your current insurer or go online and get a quote (you will have to say you have passed your test)

Assuming your CBT is still in date?

You need theory and then do your test.

For DAS the test is taken on a 600cc bike and there are 2 parts:

Part one is the slow speed control round the cones in the car park bit, costs £15.50 (plus if you've gone through a school their bike and instructor hire)

Part 2 is the ride round the roads with an examiner behind. £75 during the week, £88.50 (plus bike blah blah)

Don't have to take both on the same day (I had 2 weeks between mine)

With DAS you can then ride anything you like.

You will struggle to find a school that will do hourly lessons, a das course ranges between 4-7 days at a cost of anywhere from £550 upwards

Not at all, I did an hour a week on Saturday afternoons for a few months and far preferred doing it that way, meant I had a week to practice what I'd been taught on the Saturday and didn't end up paying the instructor full time when half the time he's stood having a fag watching me wobble round the car park :lol:

Whereabouts are you? Might be someone near you can give you school recommendations if you haven't got one in mind already?

You were lucky to find a riding school that done that for you, thats all i wanted to do but none that I contacted would do any less than a 4 day course.

Back to op i would say do the course it will get it over with qyicker and also you may be surprised, your used to riding a 125 but on your testsyou will be expected to do slow manouvers on a 600 or 650 which isnt as agile as a 125