Chain came off

Glorian

Right before i start, 2 weeks ago, i cleaned lubedand tightened my chain, wasn't to loose wasn't to tight it was just right (Like the porridge) all fine, been riding it to work every day for 2 weeks, now yesterday i pop to shops to get a new rear bulb as my light (not brake) one has blown, get 2 minutes from the shop and i hear a GOD AWFUL noise. notice i have no power, but engine is still going, so i pop to the side of the road, kick stand down, and inspect, my chain is off the sprocket, no problem i think. I also notice my chain guard (Top only) is snapped at the back and the metal piece that holds it in place has bent (God knows why?) i think that this has snapped off, pushed into the sprocket which has caused the chain to miss the sprokcet and slip off sound plausible? I kept the broken parts as i'm going to a local sinnis garage tonight see what they say (also going to quiz them on why water has gotten into the rear brake light?) Thankfully i managed to get the chain back on the sprokcet rather easily looped some chain on the top, and walked the bike backwards slowly and it went back on. but now i'm riding without it's guard. Is this safe for the chain? It only covered the top half of the chain anyway.

Doesn't sound much fun!

But if you can get your chain back on by just looping it over the sprocket and rolling the bike, its probably too loose.

Chain guard is there to stop oil splatter, so you're OK riding without it.

could only loop about 5-6 sprockets, but might tighten it up a little just to be safe, going to garage on way home so will ask mechanic if it's to loose, doesn't feel it has a little movement in it.

Oh dear the same happened to me but I hadn't touched the chain and it was definitely too lose. Try pulling the chain off the sprocket at the back it shouldn't come off (much). Is your chain new?

Is the chain consistent all the way round? Did you happen to adjust it to an incredibly tight spot and that made it far too loose somewhere else?

If i'm correct it adjusts by moving the wheel backwards slightly, can upload pics later to make it clearer =D but yeah new chain and will have a look how much (if any dont think it does)it comes off the sprocket.

As tango said a new chain will stretch so the chances are it's not tensioned enough. It's all part of the learning curve, I don't know much about bikes but like you I'm picking things up and just fixing bits and pieces when I need too.

New chains stretch under the strain so keep an eye on it best thing to do is just lift it up with your boot before every ride you'll get an idea of how much play it should have in time.

doesn't pain to check chain tension once a week when you're lubing everything. If you're an all year rider, you should be giving everything a once over once a week anyway. have your gear changes been snatchy and loud this last week or so?

Only first it sometimes clunks when i'm changing down. I usually lube/clean/check bike over once a month and give it a quick once over 2 weeks inbetween. i'd say i only do about 100miles a week unless i go out on the weekend.