01 sv650 electrical problems! help!!

chobinoski

Hi all,

Recently got my mod2 and went and got myself an sv650!!

Now i have bought it private, and the guy kept it in storage for a long time (2001 and 9000 miles) test rode it first. Then rode it about 15miles home.

The bike now wont start properlly.

When i turn the key somtimes the dash lights come on and somtimes not.

When they are on i press the ignition and i hear a click come from about where my right knee is.

But it doesnt fire up and all the dash lights go out.

Twice when i put it on the side stand the lights came back on but again trying to turn it made 1 click and cut out.

Once when i turned the steering to lock it the lights came on but no start.

I checked the batterys charge and it was 12.somthing.

Looking at the connections they seem ok and the fuse box wires look solid.

I have the haynes manuel and a lot of enthusiasm but not that much knowladge :)

Last thingdont know if its related. On the way home i got a couple of pops come from the exhaust and the bike felt like it was engine breaking but i slowed down and it went.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the wall of txt. Wanted to list as much info as poss!!

whats 12.something on the battery?

it really sounds like a flat battery to me

the clicking is the starter relay not having enough power to it

get the battery on charge then try again and get back to us

or if you can use a set of jump leads on a car without the car running

When they are on i press the ignition and i hear a click come from about where my right knee is.

But it doesnt fire up and all the dash lights go out.

Flat battery. If it's been standing a while it's probably goosed. Replace it with new.

and while at it just check connections around starter solinoid make sure no corrosion is present

well this was my next port of call if the battery checked out fine

there is a multi plug on the starter relay with 4 wires on it these are prone to corroding and stopping power getting through they usually burn out though or they stop all power going through

Hey thanks for the fast replys!!

I used a multimeter and it measured around 12.5v.

The only reason i thought somthing other than the battery is because it rode home fine but ill look into ordering a new battery.

Just hoping its somthing i xan fix myself as ive spent most of my budget for this month and cant really afford to take it to the shop right now.

I was having a look around under the seat. And the green box - is that the starter relay? It looks in good shape, but there are 4 wire slots on top of it and wires only go into 3 of them.

I think thats where my 1 click comes from when i try to start it before the power cuts out.

Thanks for the help guys, ill try a new battery then update.

Approximate charge by voltage on batteries is this

12.66 V 100%

12.35 V 75%

12.10 V 50%

11.95 V 25%

11.70 V 0%

if you nothis a small drop is a big difference to the level of charge

as already said if the bike has been stood then the battery may not be holding a charge it may have just come off charge when you went to go look at it but give it a few hours it may not have enough to start the bike

I see thanks,

Am pretty new to all this :)

im just looking at batteries online. Found a maintenance free pre charged one for my model for fairly cheap.

Or is it worth splashing out for a decent one?

Thanks again.

get yourself a decent one

have a look for a mottobat they are really good and are around £50 well worth the money

then when you get enough cash buy an optimate charger and keep it on charge when the bikes not in use thats providing you have power near the bike

dont forget to check out your battery first to rule it out rather then just spend money :wink:

Hi guys just to update.

Was looking at the battery and the red wire connector was rubbish. When i held it down all the dash lights come on. It acctually tried to turn over but couldnt.

I basicly spent the last of my disposable income on a new battery.

AND IT WORKS!!!!

First couple times it came on for a few secs then cut out.

But it all seems to be working now.

Thanks for the help all.

Was dreading a big problem :P :)

I hope that sorts it. I had a dead battery after the bike had stood for months. After charging it measured about 12.5V. All good I thought. But as soon as I pushed the starter the voltage collapsed to about 7V. Basically one or more of the cells had gone high resistance. A new battery sorted it.

The 2001 SV is carbed, it needs choke to start and hold revs for about a minute before you let it off. That will be why it's cutting out.

Plus if it was stood, I recommend dumping a bottle of STP petrol engine fuel cleaner (not redex) which can be bought from any Halfords and fresh high octane fuel like V-power.

When I had slightly gummed up carbs this combo made the bike run a bit on the jittery side but afterwards it was completely sorted.

• 2 weeks later...