life span of oil filters

GaryJM

Ok let's see if any one knows the answer to this.

I normally do an oil and filter change yearly

now previously the filters have lasted fine on that length of time.

The last two years the filters have failed one gave up the ghost dramatically by putting oil all over the engine and rear of the bike, this year by a slow oil leak.

I have just changed the oil and filter for this year ( filter is a hiflo one this year).

last two times they have been Champion ones. done up by hand normally but this year by putting the oil filter wrench on the new one and doing it up that way.

so what do you guys do change the oil filter each time or as I do?

about 7 k a year on average so two oil changes a year for me.

It just been the last couple of years I have had problems in this respect.

one oil change I just buy a couple of extra litres and do a quick change.

Definitely the filter thou as the slow leak this year has disappeared totally since the change.

that would normally be me :)

Never had this happen before. Just the last two years.

So just wondering if I should just do the filter now at all changes.

considering a filter is only £7-8. it's not breaking the bank :)

You can tell when a Bandit needs an oil change as the gear box gets very clunky ( Suzuki have a rep for clunkines anyway in respect of their gearboxes)

On the missus bike I just do a yearly oil and filter change (she only does a couple of k yearly as the car is her prime mode of transport).

that way I don't have to remember when I changed the filter and oil filter seals (she rides a GN 125).

Personally i would change the oil filter every oil change, i don't understand why anyone would change the oil and not the oil filter especially for the sake of a few quid.

Suzuki recommends i change the oil filter every 3rd oil change according to the service schedule. Sod that its getting a new one every time.

Older hacks you see around often won't get an oil filter for the last few years of their life and rusting through will cause them to fail if they don't block up first.

Obviously an annual oil and filter change should be the longest a filter should be fitted but for some, £20 for a change is far too much expense. I know plenty of people like this.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sjXTwkRWoT4/TKB8z5FVPBI/AAAAAAAAAz8/DWAmGINazt4/s320/P1110744.JPG

considering the shape and rust on that one can't have been easy getting it off.

as to not changing it every change that's because Suzuki Kawasaki and Honda (the three makes of bike I've owned over the years ) don't require a filter change at every change.

those 3 manufacturers certainly know more about there bike than I do.

I think the problem is with the quality of filter

that's what I have been wondering Stu.

last two have been Champion ones can't remember what they were before that thou.

so trying a hiflo this time.

if the advertising speak is to be believed they're better than the OEM ones.

Older hacks you see around often won't get an oil filter for the last few years of their life and rusting through will cause them to fail if they don't block up first.

Obviously an annual oil and filter change should be the longest a filter should be fitted but for some, £20 for a change is far too much expense. I know plenty of people like this.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_sjXTwkRWoT4/TKB8z5FVPBI/AAAAAAAAAz8/DWAmGINazt4/s320/P1110744.JPG

Yuk!! That filter looks nasty! That would be a clear indicator to me of a badly kept bike