Conversion Training

Guest mrk123

Just had 2 hours conversion training, first time on a 600cc, quite a nippy thing too.

Few problems with the weather though, it was pissing down quite bad right off the bat, the radio intercom was crackling all over the show, if I opened the visor all the way to see the rain was right in my face, if I closed it and left a small gap for air to circulate I still couldn't see shit for rain o the visor.

Was a bit of a night mare adding into that a crackling voice in one ear.

I had to stop about 15 mins in and say to him that I could hardly see and was going to postponr, said I would pay half as I was concerned for my safety but he said he will still have to charge full price after only 15 minutes, I see his point but my safety has to come first. So felt I should carry on as I wanted to get the money worth.

All the way through though the rain was hammering down, I know that on test day it doesn't matter rain or shine, but this was a first go on a 600 and it was a feisty machine, had to have the visor up most of the way cause I couldn't see shit. And when it was down on the dual carriage way, I just had to hope it would somehow get through it.

I certainly would not ride in these conditions as it were.

No real questions here, just sharing my experience and any advice welcome.

Sounds odd the water not clearing off the visor when you were traveling.

I've never had an issue in the wet apart from spray from cars reducing distance you can see.

I imagine there are products out there you can apply to the visor to encourage the water to bead and dispel off the visor. Not sure how well they work though.

Rain can be a bit unnerving if you're not used to it. You made it back home safe and sound though, so it wasn't THAT bad :seeya:

Just make sure your visor is properly cleaned before setting off in bad weather, if possible. All the little dirt particles from suicidal insects just make it a bit worse (until they are washed off by the rain).

Baby wipes and a piece of kitchen roll are all you need really. You might want to take a few with you as well, in small plastic bags so that the wipes stay moist and the kitchen roll stays dry. Especially when cars in front of you throw up some dirt from the road, it can help to have them at hand.

On the go, if it's pissing down at higher speeds, use the windshield to your advantage (cower behind it), if you have one. It helps a little, but don't expect miracles.

On the go, if it's pissing down at higher speeds, use the windshield to your advantage (cower behind it), if you have one. It helps a little, but don't expect miracles.

I'd heard that's the worst you can do, as your screen gets a coat of water and your visor still will as well. As a result you end up looking through visor, water, screen, water and can seriously hamper your view.

Never tried it myself, I've always kept my head in the clouds :)

I'd heard that's the worst you can do, as your screen gets a coat of water and your visor still will as well. As a result you end up looking through visor, water, screen, water and can seriously hamper your view.

Never tried it myself, I've always kept my head in the clouds :)

Depends on the windscreen I guess. On my Bandit I was able to peak just over the rim of it and still enjoy reduced amount of water on the visor. It wasn't a riding position I particularly liked but worked okay.

I had much more trouble with my slightly too short trousers, which made all the water run straight into my boots, especially in a crouched position! :shock:

As you said yourself, you'd normally avoid such weather if you can. Just don't let it distract you too much from what's going on on the road.

I kept thinking to myself that I know what I am doing, relax, but it really was a case of just trying to survive that rain.

Would people agree that, it's harder to take instructions instead of actually just reading the road yourself and doing what you need to do properly.

Like you kind of zone out like a zombie because you have someone just feeding you instructions, so not paying 100% attention and reading and feeling the road and the situation around and in front of you.

I guess it was all just intensified with that wind and rain, and that bike is a bit vicious. I could ride slow no problem, but had trouble keeping it at a steady 28mph or 30mph and kept actually zooming from 24 to 34 like a yoyo sometimes. Guess that's what a 600 Kawasaki sport bike gets you.

He said that on the dual carriage way, if i didn't at least ride at 60mph to 70mph it could be a fail. I thought that was a bit harsh if so.

He had to instruct me a few times, such as lookbacks etc, but think it's because I was being commanded, I know full well that if i was on my own I would be a lot safer.

I'm putting it down to that rain, I just hope my mod 1 training isn't as bad, and both tests for that matter...

Mr W , you're right about the double effect of rain on screen and visor, if I get caught in the rain I find it better to lower the screen so I'm looking just over the top, giving me maximum visibility.

Lucifah, I know exactly what you mean about the boots not meeting the trousers. I used to be OK with my SIDI boots, which basically just wore out after 5 years regular use, got a pair of ankle boots instead. Fine with the leathers but in textiles as soon as I put my foot down the boots exit the trousers and dont go back in on their own - I have to lean down and put my trousers back where they belong, can do it on a run but not in town stopping every 2 minutes. Intend to lash out on longer boots soon.

So was it a gear conversion course, or conversion from a small bike to a big bike?

I did a gear conversion before my DAS - I spent about 90 minutes riding a Yamaha YBR 125. That was sufficient to pick-up the gear/clutch procedures. Then I rented the same bike for two days and rode 200 miles on it, to build-up my geared experience.

After that, 4 consecutive days for DAS, on a Yammy XJ6.