An Embarassingly Painful Situation

TomGrainger

So I didn't really wanna make this common knowledge because it was really embarassing but the day I got my SV650 I didn't even make it home before it got binned. The guy delivering my bike (a family friend) managed to slip the clutch and pull the ultimate wheelie. Bike went down on the right hand side and did all manner of damage.

Upper fairing cracked and scratched, lower fairing scratched, rear brake lever snapped off, front right indicator destroyed, front brake lever damaged.

This was just over two weeks ago and the garage still haven't fixed it. They've just phoned and told me that the repairs are gonna come to an unbelievable £700 and another £250 for fitting the restrictor. This is the most ridiculous thing I've heard for a long time. The highest quote I'd heard for a restrictor to this point was £170 which, whilst still insane, is not £250. Add to that I know I could replace both fairings for £400 and the other damage doesn't amount to £300 when I look online. Am I going mad or am I being had on here?

With all repairs it's always cheaper to do it yourself. The benefit of having it repaired in a garage is they are skilled, working to a standard to please you and they have access to everything they need to do the job right. Sometimes it pays to have cars/bikes fixed in a garage.

Outch!! That's embarrassing..

Dont forget the 700quid will be for brand new genuine parts plus labour and warranty.

Yes you could do it cheaper if you buy used parts and do it yourself.

As for the restrictor - that does sound expensive. Ask them how much it would cost to remove once you're allowed to ride unrestricted. If the removal cost is a lot less, question the deacrepency as the labour involved is the same.

Actually they're not getting new fairings, they're repairing the current ones. That's why I'm a bit concerned over the price. the restrictor kit is the main thing that makes me think they're taking the piss. But yeah it's a major sting in the tail. Unfortunately it wasn't dropped on the left side, that end already had damaged fairings, though I guess if the gear selector got broken we wouldn't have even got it to the mechanic without breakdown recovery

Actually they're not getting new fairings, they're repairing the current ones.

That will take longer than swapping the parts.

if you have cheaper quotes for restrictor, take it to the other place, and if you feel capable, do the repairs yourself. save yourself a wedge of cash!

Long story short I didn't get the price until it was too late (just gonna have to trust me when I say there's a valid reason for that). If I knew it would be anywhere that much I would have done the entire lot myself.

I must say it's tempting. My only annoyance is I've been off the road for 6 weeks (before getting the bike I had issues with it's predecessor) and if I take it out of the garage I'm then going to have to wait for parts delivery and find the time/skill to fit them. Oh well, can't have it all I guess.

From what you've described you'd just need new brake levers and indicators plus the restrictor kit to get the bike rideable, then sort the fairings out when you have time.