Yamaha XT125r Clutch??

Red Dragon

Ok i have recently passed my CBT and love riding round on my yam xt125r.

the bike is 09 plate but only had 290 miles on the clock when i bought it this month.

one previous owner who never used it at all, so lucky me.

i have started to notice that she does'nt want to go into 1st gear easily.

Ok so i ride towards traffic lights that change to red, i slow down the bike and change down each gear in turn and then from second gear i change straight down to 1st ok no probs, then im sitting at the lights, and if i put it into neutral then thats when i cant click back down into 1st gear easily, i sometimes have to pull clutch in 2 or 3 times for it to click into 1st.

this happened a few times over the last two rides, so today i went to an old disused industrial park with lots of empty quiet roads, junctions etc, and went up and down all the gears ok then i pulled over to the side a few times, came to a stop, into neutral, relaxed hands, feet, had a bit of a stretch, then clutch in, foot on gear pedal attempt to push down into first but it wont go, sometimes it does, sometimes it dont.

as you can probably tell from the narrative, i am completely new to bikes and riding.

i just dont know if its the clutch or the gear pedal that i will have to investigate first.

any ideas??

first of all get someone to sit on it for you and check chain tension and adjust if needed,move the bike forward a few times while checking chain to see if it has got a tight spot and if it has then adjust it at that point.After checking chain tension check clutch adjustment and free movement at the lever if you have got a manula for the bike it will tell you how much play there should be at the lever and you can adjust it using the adjuster sticking out the rear of the clutch lever

i've taken it out for a ride just now.

changing down into second is ok, come to a stop, from neutral down into 1st sometimes works sometimes doesnt, if it fails to go into first then i release the clutch and hold it on again until it does go into first.

yes i do have a manual and will be looking at the ajdustment on the lever this afternoon.

then i will be checking the chain for tension, as you have pointed out.

will let you know how i get on.

cheers