Suzuki GN250 J Reg Restore advice

Guest grimesy88

Hi there,

I would like to start by introducing myself. I am a 25 year old chap who has been driving (cars) for 8 years and have always had a passion for motorcycles but never had the chance or timing to pursue, until now... A friend has dearly given me a J Reg GN250 which seems to me to be in okish nick (not that i know what on earth i am talking about!.) I've attached a picture for completeness.

The bike itself hasn't been ridden or in fact started in 18 months but has however been stored under cover.

Yesterday a friend and I connected jump leads to a quad just to see what life came from it. All electrics seem fine and when pressing the starter button she attempts to start although sounding very very dry and that's where we left it as we didn't want to cause any damage to the engine.

So my question is, from your guys experience what would be your list of things to check/service?

I currently have in mind to: -

1.Bleed the fuel tank.

2.Drain any oil if any exists.

3.Check brake fluids.

4.Replace battery with new.

5.Ensure all lever cables are correctly operating.

I have 0 knowledge with Motorcycles but do have the understanding of how to maintain and service a motor.

http://i.imgur.com/U46Qm4B.jpg

i would tip a tiny bit of oil down the spark plug hole before turning it over to much to make sure the lining of the barrel gets some lube down it change the petrol in the tank drain the carb and put some fresh fuel in and see if it will fire up once you have checked oil level