Test confusion

I've done my CBT and I'm riding a 125 at the moment, what do I have to do to progress to a bigger bike? I'm 22 in a week, what test do I need to do? Do you just do lessons then book your test when you feel you're ready like with a car? What do I need to learn that I don't already know? I'm pretty confused with it all :?

Aged 19 or over: A2 Motorcycle Licence

At 19 can get an A2 Motorcycle Licence allowing you to ride a motorcycle or scooter with power up to 35KW (46.6 bhp) which will typically mean up to 500cc engine size, or a restricted version of a bigger more powerful model.

There are two ways to qualify for an A2 licence:

First if you have held an A1 Motorcycle Licence for 2 years, you can take another practical test.

Or second if you are 19 or older you can take the Direct Access route by completing your CBT and passing your Theory Test and Practical Tests.

You are then allowed to ride any A2 category motorbike or scooter without L plates and to carry a passenger.

After holding an A2 Motorcycle Licence for 2 years, you can take another practical test and get an unrestricted A Motorcycle licence.

Aged 21 or over: Unrestricted A Motorcycle Licence

At 21 you can get an A Motorcycle Licence, allowing you to ride any motorcycle or scooter of any size or power. There are two ways to qualify for an A Motorcycle Licence:

One, if you have held an A2 Motorcycle Licence for 2 years, you can take another practical test.

If you haven’t held an A2 licence for two years and if you are aged 24 or over, you can take the Direct Access route by completing CBT, Theory tests and a practical test.

You are then allowed to ride any motorbike or scooter without L plates and to carry a passenger.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, because I'm guessing you only have a CBT and haven't held an A2 licence already for 2 years, that the A2 will be the one you will need to take, and then in 2 years time redo the same test again to get the unrestricted 'A' Licence.

As far as booking the course and tests go, usually you book it all at once. Choose how many training days you think you'll need and then the Mod 1 and Mod 2 tests. For example, I was completely new to riding and booked a Full 6 Session Course which was 1 day CBT, 3 days training, 1 day for Mod 1 & 1 Day for Mod 2. This was classed as the Complete Novice course, but I still ended up booking an extra day of training after failing my 1st attempt at mod 1.

I'd recommend that you make sure the school books the Mod 1 & Mod 2 atleast a week apart so if things don't quite go to plan with your Mod 1 then you won't lose out on the test fees for Mod 2 and they can just rebook it for you for another date or wait till you have passed the Mod 1 then book it.

Really you can personalise your course how you want. I spread mine over 2 paydays. Just discuss it all with your local school/s.

If you're looking to book it anytime soon, get you're Theory test out the way with. It's pretty easy, and I think about £35ish. You can access mock tests online or buy practice DVD's to study.

Hope this helps :)

Information taken from the Get On website. http://www.geton.co.uk/#filter=.portfolio-category-35

Cheers Bex, that clears it up alot :) crazy how expensive or is before you even buy the bike.. Not surprised there are so few young riders!

Well I just asked the place I did my CBT with and they said it's usually £600 for the test and training etc but they'll do it for £570 because I did my CBT with them and if my brother does it at the same time they'll give us a further discount :-)