clutch advice

kevh

hi guys i have a problem with my virago 535 clutch its been clunking heavily when i put it in first you can feel it grab and drop into gear i know shaft drives do clunk a bit when putting in gear i have just replaced the cable and oil with a new one it made a slight difference it goes up and down the gearbox ok for an old bike [with a bit of a clunk and grab] is there any little checks i can do before i go into depth and replace the clutch the biting point is about half way there is no slipping when i accelerate hard

any tips will be greatfully recieved :cheers: :scratch:

I take it that you've adjusted the clutch to spec? If so, it could be the plain plates in the clutch that have dished a bit, causing a bit of clutch drag.....only solution to that is to replace them.... :(

East Anglian Biker said on another post recently that the 535 gearboxes can be a bit iffy.....but hopefully that's not your problem.... :?

thanks tango for the reply when you say about it bein adjusted the clutch to spec i am not sure as iv never had to touch it since i bought it so i think its as it has always been if you could advise me on how to do this i would be most greatfull

many thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar problem to yours recently, so I changed the clutch cable ... WHAT a difference!

Adjust your clutch cable using the adjuster on the handlebar. If that doesn't fix it, then slacken the adjuster nut at the bottom end, release the cable at both ends, and push it back and forth. If you feel a lot of resistance, then the cable is knackered and needs replacing. I don't know how it works on other bikes, but on the SV, you have to replace the whole thing, sleeve included. It is not difficult if you take it methodically and do one thing at a time. It took me 45 mins to change the cable on first attempt. I'm sure a mechanic would do it faster, but I wanted to be sure I'd get it right.

thanks for that i changed the cable but still have the clunking when going into 1st all i can think now it must be the plates but i not quite sure how to set the clutch interior i have noticed that on the clutch arm where the cable joins the arm at the bottom of the cable there is a arrow shaped bit on the arm that lines up to the rear mark on the casing plate when the cable is adjusted correctly is this correct or is this a sign of the plates being worn or wrongly adjusted

Clunk when going into 1st?.....don't all bikes do that?... :wink:

If the bike isn't trying to move when you've got the clutch in......and it doesn't slip in the higher gear when you give it a handfull, then I don't think you really have a problem.... :wink:

But....if you're still worried....what about the engine oil.....is it fairly new or has it been in there a while? On the Triumph RAT forum I've heard guys praising Motul 5100 engine oil for quietening their gear changes.....it's expensive, but may be worth a shot..... 8-)

thanks for the info guys all the clutch adjustment on the cable is spot on i did a full service including oil and filters 2 months ago but will definitely try a better oil thanks again for all the advice