I am so pleased with myself today.

I repeated the CBT but didn't get as far as the riding-round-town bit because I totally messed up the U-turns. I think part of the reason for this was that the morning session is so long (I didn't have to go back for the safety talk but joined the practical session). So by the time you do the U-turn bit you have been concentrating for so long that you are exhausted and every mistake is magnified. Suddenly that space that was big enough to turn a bus round in has shrunk to the size of a minibar fridge. I did get it eventually, and then after a break we all went out on the road. The other two went out with one instructor and I went out with the other who said he'd have to see me do a U-turn in the road (even though in real life you'd just go to the roundabout at the end of the road). Anyway I was rubbish, ran the bike up onto the grass verge and had to jump off it etc. etc. So we abandoned that for the day and he took me out and I didn't know whether he was giving me a lesson, but he took me all round the (huge) industrial estate and down some country lanes, with me in front most of the way. I can do over 30 mph now! Cool!

He says next session we will just concentrate on U-turns and then take me into town and that will be it. I told the secretary so I could book the session and she said I should take my driving licence back with me next time.

So, yes, it will be a shameful girlie grannie bike for the time being but at least it will get me out onto the road. Today has got rid of my nerves.

I wanted to ask - is it like learning to drive a car, when you generally give your instructor a little gift when you pass? I am getting all these extra sessions at no extra cost and today was pretty well the equivalent of an hour's private instruction. When I do succeed I think I should give them something, but I don't know if that's what people do.

Great news!!

I'm really pleased you are making progress. If you feel you want to get the instructor/school something then do just that. It doesn't matter if you are the only person ever to do it, I'm sure the recipient/s will be chuffed. It confirms to them they are doing a good job and it is appreciated.

I was just thinking of something along the lines of a box with teabags, coffee, sugar and biscuits, since they will use all of these, if only to give to the learners :)

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but that's what we used to do. When I passed my driving test I gave the instructor 100 fags! :laugh: Wouldn't dream of doing that now - but it was in the days when it was acceptable for the instructor to light up during the lesson. Probably a situation when an exception should be made. Driving instructors must have nerves of steel.

I was just thinking of something along the lines of a box with teabags, coffee, sugar and biscuits, since they will use all of these, if only to give to the learners :)

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but that's what we used to do. When I passed my driving test I gave the instructor 100 fags! :laugh: Wouldn't dream of doing that now - but it was in the days when it was acceptable for the instructor to light up during the lesson. Probably a situation when an exception should be made. Driving instructors must have nerves of steel.

Wow! I'd say a bar of chocolate and its job done!

glad you're getting there and feeling better about the whole thing, I think wanting to give them a gift for all the extra attention is a lovely idea, so if its something you want to do, go for it. :)

I would be interested to know what you are being told in terms of doing a U-turn?

Are you keeping the revs up?

Are you using the rear brake to control the speed?

Are you making sure that you turning your head and looking where you want the bike to go?

Yes, acting_strange, I am being taught properly, it is entirely down to me and my complete lack of confidence and not yet having learnt to trust the bike. It's counter-intuitive for me to keep the revs up and at the same time keep the brake on - like simultaneously putting my foot on the accelerator and the brake pedal in a car, or squeezing the horse's sides with my legs whilst applying pressure to the reins - and when I have to go that slowly, I'm convinced I'm going to fall off, as I invariably do if I go too slowly on a push-bike. But when I look at where I was a couple of weeks ago, especially as I have no bike to practice on in between, I have made progress :)

Sounds like you are with some good instructors.

I wasn't confident on my cbt at all. Never did a u-turn and did a 20 minute ride out and got the certificate. If I hadn't got further training (DAS) I would of most certainly been a liability to myself and others on the road.

It's one of those things that after a while you get better and better at, and just keep progressing.

It sounds like they are putting some effort and planning into your training and if it's not extra hen I would defiantly get them a little something, even if its a tin of biscuits to share.

I also struggling doing my u turn, the instructor got me to ride pillion and he got me to mirror his body position

Basically you lean the bike ever so slightly in to the turn and lean your body out slightly to balance

Slow riding is all about slipping the clutch, rear brake control and revs

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting - I was supposed to go and finish off on Thursday but they had to cancel, so I was all psyched up for nothing. Next available date (as I have to do that inconvenient thing called working) is the evening of 8th August. I just hope I haven't forgotten everything by then.