front sprocket change -1tooth

cockercas

Im going to change my front 16t sprocket for a 15t one.

Do i need a new chain to?

I ask because when the weather turns and the bikes put away im buying new rear sprocket and chain anyway.

Thanks.

No you don't need a new chain, but the new sprocket may wear the old chain prematurely. Just enjoy the extra acceleration.

extra acceleration?? I was aware that dropping rear sprocket teeth improves top speed and slightly reduces acceleration??

Front sprocket change now with old chain.

Then when i stop riding for winter il be buying a new rear and chain.

Smaller front sprocket or bigger rear equals faster accelation.

yeahh, bigger real does mean more acceleration.. But the title says " -1 tooth"..

and megawatts message was "more acceleration".. - a tooth on the rear, doesnt gain acceleration, it loses it, and gains top speed..

Reducing the number of teeth on the front sprocket (by 1) will:

Decrease accelleration (i.e. time to speed calculation) due to the increase of EFFORT. However, as the top speed of each gear is actually increased, it may be possible to achieve higher accelleration in the lower gears.

Increase speed delivered by engine revolutions due to the drive/output RATIO - This does not mean the overall top speed is increased!

Confused? - The more I thing about this, the more I am!

:scratch:

-1 tooth on the front sprocket will increase acceleration and reduce top speed significantly more than changing the rear sprocket by 1 tooth. Think of it this way....with 16 tooth front sprocket each revolution will move the chain 16 links and, if you had a 32 tooth rear sprocket 2 revolutions of the front sprocket would equal 1 revolution of the rear wheel. Reducing the front sprocket to 15 teeth will mean that 2 revolutions of the front sprocket will equal 30/32 revolutions of the rear wheel. So, the front sprocket, and hence the engine, will need to revolve more to cover the same ground.......more revs for same distance covered..... :wink:

Yes but....

For the SAME revolutions of the engine, the speed has been reduced, therefore if it takes the same amount of time to reach a revolution output (say 15,000 rpm), then the time taken to reach the same top speed (RPM will now be higher than with the original gearing ratio)will be longer, then the accelleration will be slower!

Granted (in First/Second) gear - the time to reach max revs will be quicker but, that top speed will be lower!

In top gear, if the bike was unable to 'red line' it may well be able to with the change to ratio but, again, that top speed will not be any higher than before (based on weight, drag, etc. against EFFORT).

I therefore submit that 'accelleration' will not be quicker and suggest an alternative statement to the effect that 'accelleration in the lower gears will be quicker but, the top speed in any gear will be lower'.

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

oops, my bad.. i misread the title.. i thought it said rear sprocket change :lol:

my fault for being tired :lol:

But yeahhh, its something like 1 tooth change on the front, is equal to 3 teeth difference on the back, or something??

id rather change the rear sprocket teeth, that way your getting more finer ratio's, than just 1 on the front...

my bike, when i put a 1 tooth bigger sprocket on the front, it was just terrible. had no power in the wind, i was actually losing speed.. so i put stock back on, and found the dropping 2 teeth on the back was perfect.. it was getting that extra top speed that i originally wanted. but wasnt doing a big leap, like it was when changing the front..

So i find, changing the rear, gives a finer choice of ratio.. :D

Reducing front sprocket teeth by one or two is the single most cost effective performance mod you can do to your bike. Downside is that it may increase wear on the chain and may cause chain to rub on the plastic/rubber guides at the front of the swingarm. Rear sprockets are considerably more expensive, a steel one could cause more chain wear and you may need a longer chain. My Fireblade has a one tooth smaller front Renthal sprocket and a two tooth bigger rear , duralumin sprocket, with the standard length DID X ring gold chain.

Changing sprocket sizes can often affect your speedo reading , so check with a satnag. :mrgreen: